Sourcing Engineer – Strategic Sourcing (#3286)
The Sourcing Engineer – Strategic Sourcing role is responsible for supporting the Strategic Sourcing organization in developing, managing, analyzing and preparing recommendations on sourcing initiatives for Mechanical Components, Finished Goods, and Secondary Processing sourcing. Cost Engineers play a key role in understanding the strategic sourcing process, developing and presenting insightful reports for the development of commodity sourcing strategy and participate in ITW cross-functional sourcing teams/initiatives. Number-based opportunity assessment and fact-based negotiation are the key tools in driving costs closer to ideal costs and enhancing product margins.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor of Science from an accredited Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Engineering or Engineering Technology or equivalent program is required.
- BSME and 8+ years of relevant experience, or relevant Masters degree and 5+ years of relevant experience.
- Knowledge of several manufacturing methods is required: machining, sand casting, die casting, investment casting, fabricated sheet metal, stamping, mechanical assemblies, value-add assemblies, injection molding, etc.
- Experience in cost modeling is required.
- Experience in designing products is required.
- Experience in DFM, VA/VE, and cost-out activities and product teardowns is required.
- Experience in using Apriori, Costimator, Micro Estimating or Boothroyd Dewhurst (DFMA) is highly desired.
- Candidates with certifications like Six Sigma, CQA, CQE, and SAVE are given preference. Previous experience in dealing with suppliers, PPAP process documentation, implementing process and design changes in products with support from cross functional teams is important.
- Experience in Supplier Development is preferred.
- Experience in Tool and Die Making (Tool Design) is preferred.
- Team-minded with ability to build excellent working relationships with colleagues. Influencing skills and data driven approach are critical to the job.
- Demonstrated capability to drive cost down, develop or improve mechanical components and assemblies using analytical and cost modeling methods.
- Continuous learner that seeks out challenges to improve skills.
- Innovative “out of the box” thinker that gets things done.
- Self starter with a demonstrated ability to focus efforts, overcome obstacles and complete key objectives.
- Experience of project leadership, planning, and execution.
- Ability to lead multiple projects at the same time
- Working knowledge of MS Office (Word, MS Project, Excel, Power point, MRP).
- Commercial awareness and experience from low cost suppliers.