Director of Engineering
Alpine is seeking a Director of Engineering to join our team. In this role you will manage and lead a team of engineers to maintain our best-in-class position in the building components industry.
Alpine, an ITW company, is a leading provider of building component software, equipment, and the industry’s best service to truss manufacturers. Partnering with our customers, we help to improve their businesses and make them more productive. We are also a leader in delivering software solutions to homebuilders to increase productivity and profitability.
ITW offers its employees a path for advancement, a competitive salary, and a comprehensive benefits package designed to help employees care for themselves, their families, and their futures.
The Director of Structural Engineering provides leadership and direction to the Structural Engineering Service groups within Alpine to maintain their best-in-class position in the building components industry. This includes providing guidance on the development of code compliant software tools, the continuous improvement of service processes and design methodologies, and on the strategic direction for Engineering Services based on codes and standards development and construction trends.
- Identifies new or disruptive technologies for opportunity evaluation. Scans external environment, understands competitive landscape and trends in changing regulatory requirements that feed into the innovation pipeline.
- Influences codes and standards to favorably position ITW products.
- Leads complex projects: forms the team, creates the plan, monitors and tracks KPI progress, manages risk, and makes necessary course corrections to deliver desired results. Oversee/guide other’s project management activities. Advises/updates all key stakeholders.
- Coaches, mentors, and develops talent within the organization. Collaborates with others to enable robust career paths. Builds a diverse, high performing organization. Ensures appropriate coverage of licensed engineers nationally.
- Builds and leverages relationships and networks across the organization, with outside companies and industry influencers. Participation in professional and trade associations where participation is not just having a membership card, but actively participating, speaking, “influencing” new standards.
- Ensures the quality of the structural engineering components of IntelliVIEW and SteelVIEW software is maintained. Works closely with software development to identify and set priorities for future software releases.
- In coordination with software development, provides testing for structural engineering requirements.
- Establish internal engineering standards and practice expectations.
- Leads the resolution of critical customer issues and determination of root causes.
- Assist in defending external claims/law suits including maintaining appropriate levels of liability insurance coverage, managing internal investigations of job site structural accidents and failures.
- Provide oversight and ensures standardization for document control including letters pertaining to plate substitutions, document retention policy, engineering reports, insurance certs, etc.
- BS in Civil/Structural Engineering and 10+ years of progressive experience in engineering leadership and the development of efficient design processes.
- Strong track record of understanding end-user needs and developing innovative proprietary products and processes that provide a sustainable competitive advantage.
- Demonstrated competence with construction requirements including advancements in the field both in material design specifications, building codes and design trends. Frame structure building design knowledge a plus.
- Proven results in managing and developing talent. Experience leading a large high-performance engineering service team.
- Travel up to 25%
ITW is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes. To be considered an applicant, please apply online to a specific job posting.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and are unable or limited in your ability to use or access the online application system process due to your disability, please click here for information on how to contact us directly.