Deputy Chief of Party, USAID Deepening Linkages in Civic Participation Activity
IREX is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to building a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world by empowering youth, cultivating leaders, strengthening institutions, and extending access to quality education and information. Founded in 1968, IREX has an annual portfolio of over $90 million, offices in 20 countries, and a global staff of 400. We work in more than 100 countries worldwide.
IREX seeks qualified Deputy Chief of Party candidates for a five-year USAID-funded program to enable horizontal and vertical networks of individuals and organizations to advocate for and bring about change across issues that resonate with local communities and increase government responsiveness and accountability in the Kyrgyz Republic.
Only citizens or residents of the Kyrgyz Republic will be considered. This position is contingent on funding.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide strategic leadership, guidance, and coaching to the program’s operations and administrative staff, and ensure effective coordination between operations and program staff;
- Oversee the management of the program budget in close coordination with the finance staff;
- Manage effective communication and coordination with IREX Finance, Field Operations, and HR home-office teams;
- Provide leadership in financial reporting, audit reviews, and assessment processes;
- Oversee hiring, onboarding, and termination processes of field office staff;
- In coordination with IREX HQ and the COP, ensure that all activities under the project are implemented efficiently and in full compliance with IREX and USAID requirements and maintain effective relationships with USAID on contractual issues;
- Oversee finance, grants and administration staff.
- Coordinate the documentation of program results and support the COP in reviewing, compiling, editing, and formatting program deliverables, including workplans, donor reporting, and internal progress reports;
- Provide technical support to the monitoring, evaluation, learning (MEL), reporting, and communications functions of the program;
- Provide management support to the technical component of the program, as delegated by the COP, to ensure activities are developed according to workplans, properly executed, responsive to changing program-results, and results-oriented;
- Oversee MEL and communications staff;
- Fulfill the responsibilities of the COP in his/her absence;
- Other duties as assigned.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Kyrgyz citizenship or residency.
- At least seven years of progressive experience, including management experience in international development with experience working in the Kyrgyz Republic and/or the Central Asia region;
- At least four years in a relevant technical position, designing and implementing programs with a focus on strengthening civil society, policy advocacy, local governance, and/or increasing accountability and effectiveness of public institutions;
- Successful track record of supervising, designing, managing, and implementing complex donor-funded technical assistance projects (with strong preference for past USAID-funded project management experience);
- Demonstrated ability to track and manage budgets and plan both strategically and creatively to meet project objectives;
- Ability to establish strong working relationships with senior government officials, community officials, civic leaders, private sector leaders, international donors, and other stakeholders;
- Proven leadership qualities and excellent administrative, management, presentation, reporting, and communication skills;
- Demonstrated ability to research and analyze state policies and legislation and make recommendations for improvement to relevant stakeholders;
- Familiarity with the political, social, economic, and cultural context of working in the Kyrgyz Republic;
- Strong representational and organizational skills;
- Experience integrating gender equality and women’s empowerment issues within civic organizing and civil society strengthening initiatives;
- A bachelor’s or advanced degree in a related field, such as International Development, Human Services, Political Science, Public Policy, Public Administration, Economics, Social Sciences, etc.;
- Fluency in written and spoken English; proficiency in Russian, Kyrgyz, and/or other local languages preferred; and
- Must possess the technical, managerial, and communication skills to assume all related responsibilities of the Chief of Party position on a full-time basis if needed.
Click on “Apply” below to submit your CV and cover letter for consideration.