Deputy Chief of Party, USAID/Liberia Transforming the Education System (TESTS)
IREX is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to building a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world by empowering youth, cultivating leaders, strengthening institutions, and extending access to quality education and information. Founded in 1968, IREX has an annual portfolio of over $90 million, offices in 20 countries, and a global staff of 400. We work in more than 100 countries worldwide.
Summary of Position:
IREX seeks qualified Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) candidates for an anticipated five-year USAID-funded comprehensive teacher training program in Liberia to improve early childhood education and primary education teachers’ quality and instructional delivery. The DCOP will provide programmatic and technical support to activities that strengthen teacher preparation institutions, build critical skills for quality teaching, and improve the enabling environment for teacher practice. The DCOP with be based in Monrovia and will work closely with the Chief of Party (COP) to oversee all programmatic aspects, ensuring that objectives are met on time and within budget.
Only Liberian citizens or expatriate residents with work authorization will be considered. This position is contingent on funding.
Summary of Responsibilities:
- In coordination with COP, provide strategic guidance to ensure deliverables are met and support staff adhere to plans and deadlines
- Work closely with COP to ensure effective day-to-day management and seamless integration of project activities
- Oversee financial operations and supervise Finance and Operations team
- Provide oversight of administration, logistics, procurement, and human resources
- Maintain familiarity with agreement requirements and monitor compliance, deliverables, and deadlines
- Ensure that all financial management and procurement is conducted in compliance with IREX policy and U.S. government regulations
- Ensure that appropriate financial record-keeping policies and practices are established and maintained
- Track and analyze all costs incurred under the award; oversee all payments
- Monitor program budget and provide required financial reporting; maintain financial records for all program activities
- Oversee subgrantee budgets and expenditures
- Liaise with IREX home office financial, compliance and field operations teams
- Contribute to effective monitoring, evaluation, and reporting of program activities
- Serve as Acting Chief of Party in the Chief of Party’s absence
- Other duties, as assigned
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Liberian citizenship or residency with work authorization
- Master’s degree in a related field such as International Business Administration, International Development, Financial Management, etc.
- At least eight (8) years of progressive experience, including management experience, in international development, with experience working in Liberia and/or the West African region strongly preferred
- A minimum of five (5) years of progressive supervisory work experience providing direct supervision of administrative, human resources, or finance staff, as well as direct supervision of professional and support staff responsible for complex programs in developing or post conflict countries
- Ability to compile and prepare financial and budget data in-line with USG rules and regulations
- Experience analyzing budget trends and monitoring funding levels across multiple accounts
- Expertise with procedures required for adequate planning, monitoring, and realigning of complex budgets
- Skilled in managing and compiling financial data for reporting and ensuring compliance with all donor requirements
- Ability to successfully manage and develop staff in a multi-cultural setting as demonstrated by past experience
- Demonstrated commitment to customer service
- Excellent computer skills as they relate to financial management
- Excellent oral, written, teamwork, and interpersonal skills with evidence of ability to productively interact with a wide range and levels of organizations (government, private sector, NGOs, implementing partners and other donors)
- Fluency in written and spoken English; proficiency in local languages a plus
- Citizens of Liberia or third-country nationals living and authorized to work in Liberia strongly encouraged to apply
Click on "Apply" below to submit your CV for consideration.