Chief of Party, USAID/Macedonia Media Support Program
IREX is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to building a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world by empowering youth, cultivating leaders, strengthening institutions, and extending access to quality education and information. Founded in 1968, IREX has an annual portfolio of over $80 million, offices in 20 countries, and a global staff of 400. We work in more than 100 countries worldwide.
IREX seeks qualified Chief of Party candidates for an anticipated USAID-funded media support program in Macedonia. The Chief of Party will be based in Skopje and will oversee all programmatic aspects, ensuring that objectives are met on time and within budget.
This position is contingent on funding.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide strategic and technical leadership to the program
- Serve as the principal liaison with USAID, as well as with key government officials, other donors and implementers, private sector and civil society partners, program beneficiaries, and other stakeholders
- Develop and maintain effective partnerships with local, regional, and international organizations active in the media sector
- Oversee and monitor quality of organizational capacity development to local organizations
- Ensure project activities are implemented on schedule and within budget
- Supervise, manage, and mentor project staff and work in close coordination with IREX’s home office
- Oversee project budgeting, financial management, and compliance
- Oversee monitoring, evaluation, and reporting of program activities
- Represent IREX publicly and supports its organizational development
- Other duties, as assigned
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in related field required; Master’s degree preferred
- 7-10 years of progressive international experience working in journalism, media sector strengthening and reform, civic engagement, or related fields, with experience working in Macedonia or Eastern Europe strongly preferred
- Successful track record of supervising, designing, managing, and implementing complex donor-funded technical assistance projects (with strong preference for past USAID-funded media development project management experience)
- Ability to establish strong working relationships with senior government officials; media, civic, and private sector leaders; international donors; and other stakeholders
- Proven leadership qualities and excellent management skills
- Demonstrated ability to track and manage budgets and plan both strategically and creatively to meet project objectives
- Experience convening diverse stakeholders to address legal and regulatory media reforms and/or emerging technological issues affecting the media sector
- Experience working with private and public sector partners to leverage additional sources of funding to meet project objectives preferred
- Strong understanding of the political, economic, and media landscape in Macedonia preferred, as well as of the current issues (press freedom, market conditions, regulatory/legal reform) facing the media sector
- Ability to provide written reporting in English for the project
- Strong representational and organizational skills
- Proficiency in English and preferably in Macedonian as well
Click on “Apply” below to submit your CV for consideration.