Media Engagement Specialist, USAID/Philippines Media Freedom Program
IREX is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to building a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world by empowering youth, cultivating leaders, strengthening institutions, and extending access to quality education and information. Founded in 1968, IREX has an annual portfolio of over $90 million, offices in 20 countries, and a global staff of 400. We work in more than 100 countries worldwide.
IREX seeks a qualified Media Engagement Specialist for an anticipated USAID-funded media freedom program in the Philippines. The Media Engagement Specialist will be based in Manila and will serve as the technical expert/advisor in the design and implementation of interventions to support the media regulatory environment and promote media self-regulation.
This position is contingent on funding.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide technical leadership to the program
- Develop and maintain effective partnerships with local, regional, and international organizations active in the media sector
- Work with local, national, and international media outlets and journalists to develop networks and engage local resources
- Work with Chief of Party to develop programming and resources related to supporting the media regulatory environment and promoting media self-regulation.
- Maintain in-depth understanding of issues affecting the media community in the Philippines
- Other duties, as assigned
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism or related fields, master’s degree preferred
- Proven record of success in the media/journalism field and/or related assistance, preferably for USAID-funded projects
- At least 3 years of intensive experience in press freedom advocacy and media capacity building, and substantial prior work engagement in the Philippines or a country with a similar context
- Past work engagement with media defense institutions is highly desired.
- Progressive experience in strengthening media regulatory environments and/or promoting media self-regulation
- Strong understanding of the political, economic, and media landscape in the Philippines, as well as of the current issues facing the media sector
- Ability to establish strong working relationships with senior government officials; media, civic, and private sector leaders; international donors; and other stakeholders
- Experience working to promote and support press freedom including political pressure on media institutions, legal threats, and violence and abuses against journalists
- Experience developing and strengthening multi-stakeholder coalitions between local, regional, and international media professionals and media organizations, civil society, private sector and industry groups, schools, the academic community, faith-based organizations, and others
- Proven experience developing capacity of media practitioners and organizations, and assisting local media organizations to apply new skills
- Experience reaching and engaging youth audiences
- Proven ability to develop partnerships with the private sector and social media influencers/professionals
- Proficiency in English and Filipino
Click on “Apply” below to submit your CV for consideration.