Senior Program Officer II, Iraq Higher Education
WHO WE ARE
At IREX we strive for a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world—where individuals research their full potential, governments serve their people and communities thrive.
But around the globe, persistent poverty, repression, and injustice prevent too many people form achieving their full potential. To address these problems, we focus on people, not on vaccines, roads, or wells. We support individuals and institutions to create change in their own communities—and to create persons-to person bridges between nations.
IREX works with partners in more than 100 countries in four areas essential to progress: cultivating leaders, empowering youth, strengthening institutions, and increasing access to quality education and information.
The Senior Program Officer II for Iraq higher education plays a key role in advancing IREX’s impact in the world by supporting management of education and higher education in IREX’s capabilities and programs; and developing organizational best practice related to education and higher education.
The Senior Program Officer II manages aspects of programs, interventions and technical products, program oversight and management, ensuring quality and achievement of intended impact, compliance with donor and IREX policies, financial management and staff management under the Iraq programs,
In additional, the SPO contributes to technical knowledge and application of theories, methods and technical to develop IREX leadership in higher education and support new business and strategic partnership development. Carry out additional duties and tasks to meet the needs of the organization, team, or as assigned by supervisor.
We are doers. Our decades of on-the-ground experience help us create greater impact, practical recommendations, and lasting partnerships.
Are you the next member of our team?
YOUR BACKGROUND & SKILLS
- Bachelor’s degree in higher education, education, or related field, Master’s preferred;
- Minimum of eight + years’ experience working in a and/or managing international education programs demonstrating relevant progressive experience, with a focus on institutional capacity building, and/or professional development programs;
- Experience creating, managing and monitoring program budgets;
- Demonstrated ability to plan strategically and creatively to meet specified objectives with strong ability to anticipate challenges and generate solutions;
- Experience in drafting program projections and track the actual expenditures;
- Demonstrated expertise in international program management;
- Professional work experience in Iraq required;
- Arabic or Kurdish language is a plus, but not required;
- Availability to travel to Iraq.
- Professionalism in written correspondence and report writing, excellent presentation and oral communication skills;
- Proven organizational skills and ability to manage multiple tasks with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail, including the ability to prioritize;
- Able to work independently and as a team member with consistent ability to take initiative, meet deadlines, and be flexible;
- Demonstrated ability to lead staff in setting goals, prioritizing tasks, and developing efficient administrative practices
YOUR DAILY TASKS
- Manage all aspects of day to day program implementation including but not limited to drafting/updating program timelines, workflow plans, budgets, reports, and program curriculum to ensure quality and impact of programming in coordination with Senior Technical Expert;
- Contributes to the development of program material, including design of program workshops and manuals, resources for program partners, communications, and reports.
- Oversee monitoring and evaluation activities, including drafting and finalize quarterly reports and analyzes results to inform project implementation.
- Makes decisions and provides solutions to implementation obstacles in a dynamic working environment;
- Conducts research where needed on existing programming, possible partners, design approaches, and potential personnel.
- Manage relationships and outreach with partner institutions, including academic, corporate, non-profit, and consultants;
- Represents IREX’s and the Education Practice’s interests to both external stakeholders (by speaking about program and project initiatives) and within IREX.
- Oversee supporting relationships and outreach with academic partner institutions; establishes partnerships (e.g. with consultants) and negotiates terms and scopes of work; monitors partner budgets and subawards, contracts, and agreements as needed.
- Provide financial management including analyzing projections vs. actuals, forecasting and recasting, reviewing domestic and foreign expenditures, and maintaining projections in financial management system.
- Ensures all fiscal and performance activities are in compliance with IREX policies and procedures and donor regulations
- Provides supervision, mentoring, and guidance to staff, including conducting staff performance reviews and identifying areas for talent development within project team.
IREX will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, and the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments of 2008.
Successful candidates are subject to background screenings
Valid work authorization is required
This position is eligible for Telework days.