Gender and Social Inclusion (GESI) Senior Officer, PRESTIJ
IREX is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to building a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world by empowering youth, cultivating leaders, strengthening institutions, and extending access to quality education and information.
IREX seeks a qualified Gender and Social Inclusion (GESI) Senior Officer to support a five-year USAID-funded project, Pre-Service Teacher Education in Jordan (PRESTIJ). Working with stakeholders including the Queen Rania Teacher Academy, PRESTIJ will support universities to expand and improve pre-service teacher education, and the Government of Jordan to develop and implement teacher education reforms and address gender disparities in teaching.
The GESI Senior Officer will support the Education Policy and Planning Manager, University Partnerships Manager, and other PRESTIJ staff and stakeholders to ensure that project activities are inclusive of men and women equitably and with gender-sensitivity, as well as of people with disabilities, refugees, and those of religious and ethnic minorities. This position will support PRESTIJ efforts to transform harmful gender norms in the teaching profession through effective policy and incentive structures, research-based national communications campaigns, and localized efforts in targeted geographies.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Contribute recommendations for work planning to ensure that the design of all project activities consider gender issues and include minority and disadvantaged groups; Ensure that all PRESTIJ activities are inclusive and gender-sensitive
- Maintain, implement, and monitor a gender and inclusion strategy for the project
- Advise on resource allocation decisions to ensure equity
- Contribute to a GESI analysis on policies and incentives for males and females to participate in pre-service teacher education, and the same for persons with disabilities, refugees, and religious and ethnic minorities;
- Advise universities, partners, and GoJ on inclusivity and equity, including promotion of appropriate disaggregated data collection and decision-making to promote gender equality and equity; strategies to attract and retain talented male teachers to the profession; and gender inclusive/responsive classrooms and modeling of gender equity principles
- Support the University Partnerships Manager to develop targeted GESI-sensitive enrollment campaigns to recruit students to pre-service teaching programs including specific messages to target prospective male candidates
- Conduct a gender and inclusion analysis to understand limits to participation in professional learning communities (PLCs) for teacher educators
- Contribute a “gender and inclusion lens” to all PRESTIJ monitoring, evaluation and earning activities and ensure disaggregated data collection and decision-making;
- Ensure that gender and social equity issues are addressed in all training modules developed for facilitators and provide trainings on social and gender equity issues
- Travel to multiple regions of Jordan will be required;
- Other duties as assigned.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Jordanian residency/work authorization is required
- Master’s degree in gender studies, education, or a relevant field, or a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field with an additional three years of experience
- At least 5 years of experience designing or working on gender and social inclusion in professional development projects, with a preference for an understanding of gender in Jordan and/or the Middle East
- Demonstrated ability to conduct high-level, timely gender and inclusion analyses
- Demonstrated experience integrating gender and social issues into professional development curricula, materials and activities
- Experience in the monitoring and evaluation of gender projects
- Experience managing relationships with teams and with external stakeholders
- Experience providing support and assistance to Ministry-level staff and officials is preferred
- Experience working with local counterparts on capacity building activities that integrate social and gender concerns desired—preferably in the field of education;
- Experience working with USAID-funded programs, and/or other international donor-funded development projects desired—preferably in Jordan or the Middle East
- Knowledge of teacher education programs preferred
- Strong writing, editing, and oral presentation skills in English and Arabic, as evidenced by professional experience
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and ability to interact and cooperate effectively with a large and multicultural team
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multitask
- Positive attitude and willingness to support and assist colleagues.
Please upload a file that includes a resume/CV and a cover letter that includes your salary range requirements.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE