Media Trainer - Consultant
DATE REVISED: 10/21/2018
POSITION TITLE: Media Trainer - Consultant
REPORTS TO: Project Director
LOCATION: Sub-Saharan Africa
IREX is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to building a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world by empowering youth, cultivating leaders, strengthening institutions, and extending access to quality education and information.
IREX is seeking a consultant/trainer between November 2018 to September 2019, to be hired to prepare and deliver regionally contextualized trainings and workshops to journalists and other media practitioners in Sub-Saharan Africa.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- In coordination with the Project Director and other trainers prepare regionally appropriate trainings and workshop curricula for regional participants;
- Provide training, technical assistance, mentoring and capacity building to local journalists;
- Deliver trainings focused on one or more of the following topics, including security and counter-terrorism reporting, business and economic development reporting, investigative journalism, and identifying disinformation and misinformation;
- Contribute to program data collection and reporting;
- Other activities as agreed upon between IREX and the selected consultant.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- 3-5 years’ experience conducting trainings, specifically training individuals in media/journalism preferred;
- In-depth local/regional knowledge and expertise in Sub-Saharan Africa;
- Experience working in cross-cultural environments;
- Fluency in English required, proficiency in French a plus;
- Experience training in Zulu, Swahili or other Sub-Saharan languages a plus;
- Excellent communication skills.
All applicants should submit a resume and a cover letter.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE