Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Directors, USAID/Liberia Media and Education Programs
IREX is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to building a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world by empowering youth, cultivating leaders, strengthening institutions, and extending access to quality education and information. Founded in 1968, IREX has an annual portfolio of over $90 million, offices in 20 countries, and a global staff of 400. We work in more than 100 countries worldwide.
Summary of Position
IREX seeks qualified Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Director candidates for two anticipated five-year USAID-funded programs in Liberia: a media development program and a comprehensive teacher training program. Based in Monrovia, the MEL Directors will oversee and implement the programs’ Collaborating, Learning, and Adapting (CLA) approach to enable informed program adaptation throughout implementation. S/he will manage the learning agenda; design and implementation of the MEL system; and the gathering, analyzing, and reporting on data.
Only Liberian citizens or expatriate residents with work authorization will be considered. This position is contingent on funding.
Summary of Responsibilities
- Oversee the program’s CLA process in collaboration with the Chief of Party; ensure that the program’s CLA approach is applied with consistency and rigor; work with the leadership team to apply program learning in pursuit of adaptive management
- Develop and implement a monitoring, evaluation, and learning plan across all program components including identification of process, output, and outcome indicators
- Develop monitoring activities that capture necessary data to report on program results
- Work with partners to build MEL capacity and ensure application of high-quality MEL activities and data collection
- Ensure monitoring activities are conducted on schedule and participate in evaluations
- Communicate information obtained through M&E activities to IREX staff and various external stakeholders, notably donors and partners
- Be a primary MEL resource to the field office and field personnel; liaise regularly with IREX’s MEL team in DC
- Ensure data collection process is functioning in all activity locations to provide quality data within deadlines
- Regularly review data collection processes, perform data quality assessments, and make adjustments as needed
- Conduct regular visits to program sites to provide technical assistance and ensure proper monitoring of program activities
- Produce M&E reports, annual performance plans and MEL plans for the program team and donor
- Serve as member of the program senior management team
- Supervise assigned MEL staff
- Other duties, as assigned
Skills and Qualifications
- Liberian citizenship or residency with work authorization is required
- Minimum of five (5) years of professional experience implementing M&E activities on international donor-funded programs; experience working on programs focused on education, teacher training, and/or media development preferred
- Proven success in designing, implementing, and operating program M&E systems from program initiation to closeout stages in Liberia required
- Knowledge of the major evaluation methodologies (e.g., qualitative, quantitative, mixed method, and impact) and data collection and analysis methodologies
- Experience in strategic planning and performance measurement, including indicator selection, target setting, reporting, database management, and developing M&E and performance monitoring plans
- Familiarity with innovative MEL methods to ensure data collection in areas with minimal connectivity and with participants with minimal literacy skills
- Experience in planning and managing surveys, and developing and refining data collection tools
- Experience with data quality assessments and oversight
- Experience managing and providing ongoing training to M&E field officers
- A demonstrated commitment to creating a learning environment in a program
- Ability to communicate professionally and provide written reporting in English is required
Click on “Apply” below to submit your CV in English for consideration.