Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Director, USAID/Ukraine Youth Unity Program
IREX is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to building a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world by empowering youth, cultivating leaders, strengthening institutions, and extending access to quality education and information. Founded in 1968, IREX has an annual portfolio of over $90 million, offices in 20 countries, and a global staff of 400. We work in more than 100 countries worldwide.
Summary of Position
IREX seeks qualified Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Director candidates for an anticipated five-year USAID-funded youth program in Ukraine. Based in Kyiv, the MEL Director will oversee and implement the programs’ Collaborating, Learning, and Adapting (CLA) approach, MEL plan, and learning agenda. S/he will manage the learning agenda, design and implementation of the MEL system, and the gathering and analyzing of, and reporting on data.
Only citizens of Ukraine or permanent residents with work authorization will be considered.
This position is contingent on funding.
Summary of Responsibilities
- Oversee the program’s CLA process in collaboration with the Chief of Party; ensure that the program’s CLA approach is applied with consistency and rigor; work with leadership team to apply program learnings in pursuit of adaptive management
- Develop and implement a monitoring, evaluation, and learning plan across all program components including identification of process, output, and outcome indicators
- Develop monitoring activities that capture necessary data to report on program results
- Work with partners to ensure application of high-quality MEL activities and data collection; oversee partner capacity building as needed
- Ensure monitoring activities are conducted on schedule and participate in evaluations
- Communicate information obtained through M&E activities to IREX staff and various external stakeholders, notably donors and partners
- Be a primary MEL resource to the field office and field personnel; liaise regularly with IREX’s MEL team in DC
- Ensure data collection process is functioning in all activity locations to provide quality data within deadlines
- Regularly review data collection processes, perform data quality assessments, and make adjustments as needed
- Conduct regular visits to program sites to provide technical assistance and ensure proper monitoring of program activities
- Produce M&E reports for the Chief of Party and donors, as needed
- Develop annual performance plans and annual MEL plans
- Serve as member of the program senior management team
- Supervise assigned MEL staff
- Other duties, as assigned
Skills and Qualifications
- Ukrainian citizenship or residency with work authorization is required
- Minimum of six (6) years of professional experience implementing M&E activities, preferably of international donor-funded programs; experience working on programs focused on youth, education, and/or employment/entrepreneurship preferred
- A master’s degree in statistics, demographics, public policy, education or related field; bachelor’s degree with eight (8) years of relevant experience also considered
- Proven success in designing, implementing, and operating program M&E systems from program initiation to closeout stages in Ukraine required
- Knowledge of the major evaluation methodologies (e.g., qualitative, quantitative, mixed method, and impact) and data collection and analysis methodologies
- Experience in strategic planning and performance measurement, including indicator selection, target setting, reporting, database management, and developing M&E and performance monitoring plans
- Familiarity with innovative MEL methods to ensure data collection in areas with minimal connectivity and with participants with minimal literacy skills
- Experience in planning and managing surveys, and developing and refining data collection tools
- Experience with data quality assessments and oversight
- Experience managing and providing ongoing training to M&E field officers
- A demonstrated commitment to creating a learning environment in a program
- Must have proven track record in the advanced use of modern communications tools, internet, email, social media, and teleconferences
- Ability to communicate professionally and provide written reporting in English is required
Click on “Apply” below to submit your CV in English for consideration.