Chief of Party, USAID Resilient Governance in Niger
IREX is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to building a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world by empowering youth, cultivating leaders, strengthening institutions, and extending access to quality education and information. Founded in 1968, IREX has an annual portfolio of over $90 million, offices in 20 countries, and a global staff of 400. We work in more than 100 countries worldwide.
Summary of Position:
IREX seeks qualified Chief of Party candidates for an anticipated five-year USAID-funded program in Niger which will address locally-driven approaches to enhance municipal governments effectiveness, including service delivery, accountability and ability to mobilize financial and human resources, as well encouraging citizen engagement in communal governance. The Chief of Party with be based in Niamey and will oversee all programmatic aspects, ensuring that objectives are met on time and within budget.
Citizens/residents of Niger are highly encouraged to apply. This position is contingent on funding.
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Provide strategic and technical leadership to the program and the team; provide dynamic and creative leadership to bring innovation to rigorous program implementation;
- Serve as the principal liaison with USAID, as well as with key government officials at the national and municipal level, other donors and implementers, private sector and civil society partners, program beneficiaries, and other stakeholders;
- Develop and maintain effective partnerships with local, regional, and national Government of Niger agencies and stakeholders;
- Develop and maintain effective partnerships with local, regional, and international organizations, including CSOs;
- Ensure project activities are implemented on schedule and within budget;
- Supervise, manage, and mentor project staff and work in close coordination with IREX’s home office;
- Oversee project budgeting, financial management, and compliance;
- Oversee monitoring, evaluation, and reporting of program activities;
- Represent IREX publicly and support its organizational development;
- Other duties, as assigned.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- At least 15 years of experience in the management and implementation of democratic local governance programs and knowledge of local government strengthening, public administration, municipal budget management and planning, service delivery, and citizen participation issues; experience working in Niger and/or the West Africa region strongly preferred;
- At least five years in a relevant technical position, designing and implementing programs with a focus on enhancing municipal governments and on strengthening civil society and increasing accountability and effectiveness of public institutions;
- Prior experience implementing successful decentralization and/or territorial-administrative reforms;
- Successful track record of supervising, designing, managing, and implementing complex donor-funded technical assistance projects (with strong preference for past USAID-funded D&G project management experience);
- Ability to establish strong working relationships with senior government officials, community officials, civic leaders, private sector leaders, international donors, and other stakeholders;
- Proven leadership qualities and excellent management skills;
- Demonstrated ability to track and manage budgets and plan both strategically and creatively to meet project objectives;
- Familiarity with the political, social, economic, and cultural context of working in Niger preferred;
- Strong representational and organizational skills;
- A bachelor’s degree in a related field, such as International Development, Human Services, Political Science, Public Policy, Public Administration, Economics, Social Sciences, etc.; an advanced degree in a related field is preferred;Public Policy, Public Administration, Economics, Social Sciences, etc.; an advanced degree in a related field is preferred;
- Fluency in written and spoken English; proficiency in French strongly preferred.
Click on “Apply” below to submit your CV for consideration. Please do NOT apply if you do not meet all the required qualifications.