Chief of Party, USAID/Philippines Media Freedom Program
IREX is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to building a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world by empowering youth, cultivating leaders, strengthening institutions, and extending access to quality education and information. Founded in 1968, IREX has an annual portfolio of over $90 million, offices in 20 countries, and a global staff of 400. We work in more than 100 countries worldwide.
IREX seeks qualified Chief of Party candidates for an anticipated USAID-funded media freedom program in the Philippines. The Chief of Party will be based in Manila and will oversee all programmatic aspects, ensuring that objectives are met on time and within budget.
This position is contingent on funding.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide strategic and technical leadership to the program
- Serve as the principal liaison with USAID, as well as with key government officials, other donors and implementers, private sector and civil society partners, program beneficiaries, and other stakeholders
- Develop and maintain effective partnerships with local, regional, and international organizations active in the media sector
- Oversee and monitor quality of organizational capacity development to local organizations
- Ensure project activities are implemented on schedule and within budget
- Supervise, manage, and mentor project staff and work in close coordination with IREX’s home office
- Oversee project budgeting, financial management, and compliance
- Oversee monitoring, evaluation, and reporting of program activities
- Represent IREX publicly and supports its organizational development
- Other duties, as assigned
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Graduate degree in communications, journalism or related fields
- At least 8-10 years of progressive international experience working in journalism, media sector strengthening and reform, civic engagement, or related fields, with experience working in the Philippines strongly preferred
- At least 3 years of demonstrated intensive relevant experience in strengthening media regulatory environments, combatting disinformation, and/or promoting media self-regulation
- At least 3 years of substantial prior work engagement in the Philippines or a country with a similar context.
- Successful track record of supervising, designing, managing, and implementing complex donor-funded technical assistance projects (with strong preference for past USAID-funded media development project management experience)
- Ability to establish strong working relationships with senior government officials; media, civic, and private sector leaders; international donors; and other stakeholders
- Strong understanding of the political, economic, and media landscape in the Philippines preferred, as well as of the current issues (press freedom, market conditions, regulatory/legal reform) facing the media sector
- Experience working to promote and support press freedom including political pressure on media institutions, legal threats, and violence and abuses against journalists
- Experience developing and strengthening multi-stakeholder coalitions between local, regional, and international media professionals and media organizations, civil society, private sector and industry groups, schools, the academic community, faith-based organizations, and others
- Proven experience strengthening networks, facilitating partnerships, and promoting citizen engagement
- Experience building the capacity of media practitioners and organizations, and assisting local media organizations to apply new skills
- Experience reaching and engaging youth audiences and other populations groups to tackle disinformation
- Experience engaging with technology companies, innovators, academic institutions, and regulatory bodies
- Experience supporting media accountability and transparency
- Proven experience developing capacity of journalists and other media professionals and institutions
- Proven ability to develop partnerships with the private sector and social media influencers/professionals
- Proven leadership qualities and excellent management skills
- Demonstrated ability to track and manage budgets and plan both strategically and creatively to meet project objectives
- Strong representational and organizational skills
- Proficiency in English and preferably in Filipino as well
Click on “Apply” below to submit your CV for consideration.