Exchange Program Site Visit Consultant (California)
IREX is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to building a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world by empowering youth, cultivating leaders, strengthening institutions, and extending access to quality education and information.
POSITION SUMMARYThe Exchange Program Site Visit Consultant will assist IREX, on request, to perform site visits of prospective and active host organizations to assess their suitability as a host to exchange visitors on IREX-sponsored research scholar and short-term scholar programs. The role will primarily involve site visits to institutions and organizations in California's Bay Area.
IREX will seek to identify multiple consultants that meet criteria for this role.
- Respond to requests for site visit assistance and share availability for such visits in a timely manner.
- Coordinate the date/time of the site visit with IREX or the prospective site in question as needed.
- Travel, as assigned, to various institutions and organizations in California's Bay Area to conduct standard site visit.
- Tour facilities of assigned site and take documentary photographs of facilities that are relevant to where exchange visitors are/will be based.
- Ask standard questions of the host organization contact person.
- Take notes on standard items for each site visit.
- Field basic/general questions from the host organization about exchange programs, while promptly relaying messages/important questions that come up during visits back to IREX to respond to.
- Complete and submit to IREX a standard evaluation report on the suitability of the site to host exchange visitors in a timely manner.
- Be available to have follow-up conversation with IREX about the site visit if needed.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Located in California's Bay Area with availability to travel economically within the area.
- Knowledge and understanding of and experience with exchange visitor programs and J-1 visa regulations.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English,
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including abilities to be sensitive to areas where there are competing priorities and communicate tactfully or persuasively as the situation warrants.
- Knowledge and ability to communicate the exchange program purpose/ethos to prospective partner hosts and to field basic questions about exchange programs.
- Attention to detail.
- In a position to conduct site visits reliably during standard business hours within a three-week period from time of request.
- Alternate Responsible Officer experience is preferred.
- Previous experience with IREX programs is preferred.
To qualify for this consultancy, candidates must have experience in each of the areas listed under Required Experience and Qualifications, and be able to provide examples for these. They must have excellent English skills.
Candidates who have the required abilities and experience will be more competitive if they are or have been an Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO) for J-1 exchange programs.
The most competitive candidate will demonstrate they have the required abilities and experience, have previous ARO experience, and are familiar with types of programs and settings within which IREX works.
More than one consultant may be selected for recurring opportunities to conduct site visits. Recognizing that a qualified consultant may not always be available to conduct site visits within the timeline needed, IREX may select a consultant who meets the required abilities and experience criteria over a consultant who meets the required and preferred criteria--in the circumstance where they are the only party with availability to carry out the requested site visit in the timeline needed.
Please upload a CV outlining relevant experience.