Operations Associate - Operations Unit
IREX is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to building a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world by empowering youth, cultivating leaders, strengthening institutions, and extending access to quality education and information.
Reporting to the Operations Officer, the Operations Associate provides administrative and coordinating support to multiple functions within the Operations Group. The Operations Associate at IREX helps ensure that the internal administrative operations at IREX run effectively, efficiently and smoothly.
The incumbent provides primary administrative and coordinating support for the Operations program under the supervision of the Operations Officer. Duties include staffing the reception desk; providing expert level word processing skills (involving editing and creating tables, Power Point presentations, PDF documents, spreadsheets and merging documents); coordinating the ordering of office supplies; office supply inventory; interfacing with external and internal entities and program/project staff. The incumbent must have strong organizational skills and a high-level project and task management ability. Must have a very strong commitment to customer service. Must be a “people” person.
GENERAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Front Office Reception
- Answers the main phone line and provides information to callers (funders, partners and the general public) and greets and announces visitors to the IREX headquarters office.
- Trains other staff, as needed, on how to use the phone system and general duties of the front desk.
- Understands IREX’s organizational chart to efficiently triage calls and email queries appropriately.
Office Facilities and Administration
- Serves as a point of contact for the property management service-related work order submissions as well as day to day point of contact for all Operations vendors and equipment
- support service requests.
- Manages Facilities support requests (meeting room set-up, office repairs) and responds promptly to requests or complaints about facilities issues or concerns.
- Oversees IREX office and kitchen supply/equipment procurements to ensure that office and kitchen supplies are always in stock and available for staff; performs comparative pricing analysis to ensure that IREX’s office supply procurement is cost-effective.
- Serves as Administrator for online office supply procurement portals.
- Manages the maintenance of IREX kitchen and common areas and ensures they are maintained appropriately.
- Coordinates and manages conference room reservations as necessary.
- Maintains the IREX mail system to ensure IREX mail is processed and distributed daily in a timely manner and provides assistance with large/mass mailings for the operations team
- Responsible for monthly corporate credit card reconciliation for the VP of Operations to ensure timely submission to Finance.
- Coordinates the processing of Operations related expenses via the IREX Accounts Payable (A/P) online system.
- Provides coordinating and scheduling support to the Vice President for Operations and the in some cases members of the Operations team as needed.
- Assists Operations Officer and Vice President for Operations with administrative tasks as directed.
- Serves as primary editor for IREX’s weekly newsletter.
- Assists in the organization and coordination for all staff events including monthly All Staff Meetings, Global Staff Retreat, annual holiday party etc.
- Provides assistance with draft correspondence for the operations team.
- Provides expert-level word processing for the operations team (involving, editing and creating tables, Power Point presentations, spreadsheets, and merging documents and PDFs).
- All other duties as assigned.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree
- Associate Degree in a relevant subject area (for example, Business management, administration, human resource management) and 1+ years of progressively responsible administrative experience may be substituted for BA degree requirement.
- 2 years of administrative experience with progressive responsibility in professional office setting can be substituted for college degree requirement.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, and Excel).
- Experience preparing expenses via an automated expense reporting or accounts payable platform very helpful.
- Excellent interpersonal, project and time management, customer service, organization and communications skills, both oral and written required.
- The ability to manage difficult situations with tact and diplomacy, multi-task in a fast-paced environment, and maintain confidentiality.
- Prior work experience in a nonprofit environment helpful but not required.
- Team player and fast learner.
- Must be a self-starter who is detail oriented and possesses good judgement.
- Must genuinely like people and enjoy being at the center of a fast paced work environment.
- Tasks involve some physical effort, e. some standing and walking, or frequent light lifting (2.5-5 kg.); or minimal dexterity in the use of fingers, limbs, or body in the operation of office equipment. Tasks may involve extended periods of time at a keyboard.
- Extended period of sitting at a workstation or Manual dexterity to work efficiently on a computer keyboard.
- Task requires:
- Sound perception and discrimination o Visual perception and discrimination o Oral communications ability.
All employees are responsible for their own safety, as well as that of others in the workplace. To help us maintain a safe workplace, everyone must be safety-conscious at all times. This position is performed in a typical office environment. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and vehicles. Safe use of IREX equipment, as well as safe practices while on IREX property is essential
IREX will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, and the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments of 2008.