IREX is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to building a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world by empowering youth, cultivating leaders, strengthening institutions, and extending access to quality education and information.
IREX seeks an Accountant to support a five-year USAID-funded project, Pre-Service Teacher Education in Jordan (PRESTIJ). Working with stakeholders including the Queen Rania Teacher Academy, PRESTIJ will support universities to expand and improve pre-service teacher education, and the Government of Jordan to develop and implement teacher education reforms.
Under the supervision of the Finance and Compliance Manager, the Accountant will apply principles of accounting to analyze financial information and prepare compliant financial reports by compiling information, preparing financial reports, and utilizing appropriate accounting control procedures.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage invoices and payment process, ensuring all documentation is accurate and prepared properly and in accordance with IREX and USAID policies and procedure and local laws.
- Establish, maintain, and coordinate the implementation and maintenance of accounting and accounting control procedures.
- Review all incoming invoices and ensure timely payment of payables.
- Verify accuracy of all payment requests and ensure proper allocation of expenditures to funding source and expense categories.
- In coordination with the Contracts and Procurement Assistant, contact vendors to discuss invoices and payments and resolve discrepancies, as required
- Follow up on service providers invoices including water, electricity, landlines, cell phones, internet, etc. making sure all invoices are received and paid on time.
- Follow up with vendors for timely collection of checks.
- Follow up with health insurance on the status of their invoices.
- Conduct regular petty cash counts.
- Manage and prepare staff payroll and salary slips.
- Manage filing of financial and accounting records.
- Ensure all financial reporting deadlines are met.
- Compile and analyze financial information to prepare monthly financial reports and cash and bank account reconciliation.
- Assist with the monthly project expenditures projections.
- Assist the Finance and Compliance Manager with preparation and coordination of annual audit process, and USAID compliance reviews.
- Liaise with Social Security Corporation and Income Tax Department and follow up on staff SS and income tax monthly remittances.
- Prepare all VAT exemption letters as appropriate.
- Assist with preparation of customized financial transaction reports as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Jordanian residency/work authorization is required.
- Minimum of BA degree in accounting or relevant discipline.
- A minimum of 4 years of finance experience on USAID-funded projects and knowledge of relevant USAID regulations.
- Knowledge of accounting and finance principles including Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Knowledge of local laws and regulations.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, and Excel)
- Experience with QuickBooks is strongly preferred.
- Ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Very good command of English preferred.
- Excellent attention to detail and strong organizational skills including ability to prioritize multiple tasks in a fast-paced working environment
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions
- Positive attitude and willingness to support and assist colleagues.
Please upload a file that includes a resume/CV and a cover letter that includes your salary range requirements with the subject line of the position title.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE