Education Policy and Planning Manager, PRESTIJ
IREX is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to building a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world by empowering youth, cultivating leaders, strengthening institutions, and extending access to quality education and information.
IREX seeks a qualified Education Policy and Planning Manager to support a five-year USAID-funded project, Pre-Service Teacher Education in Jordan (PRESTIJ). Working with stakeholders including the Queen Rania Teacher Academy, PRESTIJ will support universities to improve pre-service teacher education, and assist the Government of Jordan to develop and implement teacher education reforms and address gender disparities in teaching.
The Education Policy and Planning Manager oversees technical and financial assistance to the Government of Jordan to conduct an annual nationwide marketing campaign to raise the status of the teaching profession. In addition, they will engage with the Ministry of Education, the Ministry of Higher Education, university staff, and two partner subcontractors to audit current policies and incentive structures and to develop relevant and well-aligned systems, policies, and practices. Overall, this role will help the Government of Jordan to “think and work politically” based on in-depth understanding of the power and social structures that impact teacher recruitment and improved capacity to make data-informed decisions.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- In collaboration with partner subcontractor, conduct annual problem-based Political Economy Analyses (PEAs) to understand the inhibiting and enabling factors affecting teacher recruitment and the expansion of pre-service teacher preparation in Jordan.
- Create a Project Steering Committee (PSC) Sub-Group on Policies and Accreditation to provide policy analysis and support and launches PSC meetings.
- Work with the Ministry of Education, Ministry of Higher Education and partner subcontractor to develop incentives to attract students to enroll in pre-service teacher training programs, drawing upon findings from the PEA and including impact, cost, and equity considerations.
- Work with the Ministry of Education, Ministry of Higher Education and partner subcontractor to develop and implement annual nationwide campaigns to raise the prestige of the teaching profession and raise awareness for the pathways to becoming a teacher.
- Support Government of Jordan entities to develop and advance reforms to institutionalize pre-service teacher education.
- Support the Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Higher Education to track and effectively utilize data to inform pre-service teacher education policy and planning.
- Coordinate with partners and stakeholders to conduct data audits to catalogue how data is used across the Ministry of Education, the Ministry of Higher Education, and in universities.
- Use data from government, university, and QRTA sources to develop a robust and accessible teacher supply and demand model, and prepare multi-year projections for teacher demand.
- Provide technical assistance and training on Data-Informed Decisions to ministry level staff.
- Manage PRESTIJ partner and sub-contractor, including oversight of technical deliverables.
- Supervise officer and assistant level staff who will provide technical and logistical support to the program.
- Represent the project publicly.
- Includes travel throughout Jordan.
- Other duties as assigned.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Jordanian residency/work authorization is required.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience building productive multi-stakeholder partnerships, preferably in the education sector.
- Master’s degree in relevant field or a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field with an additional three years of experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the Jordanian pre-service teacher training policy landscape required.
- Demonstrable ability to think and work politically to facilitate stakeholder buy-in and build effective working relationships and coalitions between diverse education stakeholders and their senior leadership.
- Experience leading applied research and/or assessments that draw on a wide range of data sources, and of applying results to inform policy decisions and/or practice. Experience conducting Political Economy Analyses preferred.
- Experience building media campaigns preferred.
- Experience with international donor-funded development projects, particularly in Jordan and/or other Middle Eastern countries, desired.
- Experience managing large subcontracts preferred.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication, interpersonal and cross-cultural skills, relationship building skills, and the ability to work cooperatively with team members, partner organizations, and stakeholders from government and education sectors
- Fluency in Arabic and English required, including strong writing skills.
- Strong computer skills and proven track record in the advanced use of modern communications tools, internet, email, social media, and teleconferences.
- Detail-oriented with ability to multitask and adjust priorities in a fast-paced working environment in order to adhere to strict deadlines.
- Demonstrated leadership, integrity, and versatility.
Please upload a file that includes a resume and a cover letter that includes your salary range requirements.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE