Municipal Advisor, USAID/Niger Resilient Governance Activity
IREX is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to building a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world by empowering youth, cultivating leaders, strengthening institutions, and extending access to quality education and information. Founded in 1968, IREX has an annual portfolio of over $90 million, offices in 20 countries, and a global staff of 400. We work in more than 100 countries worldwide.
Summary of Position:
IREX seeks qualified Municipal Advisor candidates for an anticipated five-year USAID-funded program in Niger which will address locally-driven approaches to enhance the effectiveness of municipal governments, including service delivery, accountability and ability to mobilize financial and human resources, as well as encouraging citizen engagement in communal governance. The Municipal Advisor will be based in Niamey and will work closely with the Chief of Party (COP) and Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) to work with communal authorities, traditional leaders, and regional government representatives and get them to engage in more effective intergovernmental communications and collaboration to address community needs, especially those of women, youth, and other marginalized populations.
Only citizens of Niger or expatriates with Nigerien residency and work authorization will be considered. This position is contingent on funding.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree (master’s degree preferred) in Public Administration, Management, Political Science, Governance, Economics, or a related field
- At least four (4) years of local/municipal governance experience in Niger working with communal authorities, traditional leaders, and regional government representatives to get them to engage in more effective intergovernmental communications and collaboration to address community needs, especially those of women, youth, and other marginalized populations.
- Deep contextual understanding of municipal governance in Niger
- Experience working on international donor-funded programs
- Strong communication and organizational skills including ability to prioritize and multi-task
- Fluency in written and spoken English and French required; proficiency in Arabic, Hausa and/or local languages a plus
Click on “Apply” below to submit your CV in ENGLISH for consideration.