IREX is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to building a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world by empowering youth, cultivating leaders, strengthening institutions, and extending access to quality education and information.
Based in Yangon, the Program Manager will be responsible for day-to-day management of Navigator program activities in Myanmar. The Navigator program is a two-year safe migration, anti-trafficking, and ethical recruitment program funded by the Walmart Foundation. IREX anticipates hiring up to two Program Managers for this role.
Navigator’s first phase, implemented from 2017-2019, established a network of public and community libraries, civil society organizations, and government actors in Magway, Bago, and Yangon to support safer labor migration and prevent labor exploitation and human trafficking.
The Program Managers will have two primary duties. First, the PM will lead the design and implementation of a system to receive, track, and refer returned migrants and/or family members to appropriate services, such as existing hotlines, healthcare services, or legal aid. This system is not intended to duplicate existing referral mechanisms and support services, but will help to feed requests and cases surfaced through the library network into existing systems for returnee and survivor support.
In addition, the Program Managers will ensure successful implementation of Navigator’s responsible recruitment, criminal justice system strengthening, and government support activities.
The Program Managers may also be requested to provide virtual or in-person support to IREX subgrantees and program activities outside in Nepal, Thailand, or Malaysia.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Design and implement a system to receive, track, and refer returned migrants and/or family members to appropriate services, such as existing hotlines, healthcare services, or legal aid.
- Design a set of activities to improve responsible recruitment practices in Myanmar, particularly among unlicensed sub-agents, in close coordination with existing programs and stakeholders
- Deliver trainings and workshops with program participants and beneficiaries, such as librarians, government officials, police, and labor recruiters
- Support implementation of the Navigator Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) plan by designing surveys and other tools
- Support program monitoring, including travel to program locations to meet with stakeholders and observe activities
- Oversee close coordination with donors and stakeholders
Represent IREX externally at events and one-on-one meetings
- Support donor reporting
- Oversee work of subgrantees in Myanmar, including capacity building support, mentoring, and quality control of deliverables
- Support negotiation of Memoranda of Understanding with relevant Ministries, as needed
- Support IREX operations in Myanmar, as needed
Other duties as assigned
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Myanmar residency/work authorization required
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience required; 7 years or more strongly preferred
- University degree in relevant field required, Masters or above preferred
- Prior experience working with an international NGO strongly preferred
- Native or near-native Myanmar language skills required
- Good written and verbal English communication skills required
- Ability to travel regularly within Myanmar required; ability to travel internationally preferred
- Demonstrated program management experience required
- Past professional experience in safe migration, forced labor or human trafficking prevention, ethical recruitment, or related preferred.
- Past professional experience with case management and/or social work or legal background preferred
IREX conducts anti- terrorism database clearances on candidates who accept employment offers. IREX is also an E-Verify Employer.
IREX is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace and inclusive hiring practice. IREX is an equal opportunity employer.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE