Intern, Information and Media
Intern, Information and Media
Location: Washington, DC
Group/Practice/Unit: Information and Media
Who We are
At IREX we strive for a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world—where individuals research their full potential, governments serve their people and communities thrive.
But around the globe, persistent poverty, repression, and injustice prevent too many people form achieving their full potential. To address these problems, we focus on people, not on vaccines, roads, or wells. We support individuals and institutions to create change in their own communities—and to create persons-to person bridges between nations.
IREX works with partners in more than 100 countries in four areas essential to progress: cultivating leaders, empowering youth, strengthening institutions, and increasing access to quality education and information.
IREX seeks a paid intern for its Information and Media Practice (I&M). The intern is expected to work part-time and provide general administrative support to assigned projects and to the Practice.
Carry out additional duties and tasks to meet the needs of the organization, team, or as assigned by supervisor.
We are doers. Our decades of on-the-ground experience help us create greater impact, practical recommendations, and lasting partnerships.
Are you the next member of our team?
Your Background & Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, media, international development, international relations, or a related field
- Experience managing administrative tasks
- Pursuing or completed an MA in journalism, media, international development, international relations, or a related field, preferred
- Experience providing subaward management and oversight preferred
- Experience with external communications, including report writing and social media management preferred
- Ability to balance multiple competing tasks and collaborate across a team while maintaining accuracy and attention to detail
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Speaking, reading, and writing proficiency in English
- Russian/Spanish/Arabic skills are desirable
Your Daily Tasks
- Support travel, operations, and event logistics
- Support program monitoring and evaluation, including data collection and review
- Support program reporting including writing and copy-editing
- Prepare and edit internal and external communications this may include:
- Donor reports
- publicity materials
- social media content
- Assist with research, including for business development
- Support procurement, finance, subgrant, and contract administration processes this may include:
- Entering payments into AP
- Create and/or edit procurement documents
- Entering subaward information into iKnow
- Reconciling credit card expense reports
- Reviewing Field Office finance documents for completeness
- Participate as a member of one or more program teams, providing program backstopping support
- Assist in event planning and coordination
- Support travel arrangements and expense reporting for reconciliation and reimbursement
IREX will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, and the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments of 2008.
Successful candidates are subject to background screenings
This position is eligible for Telework.
This position is ineligible for Immigration Sponsorship