Baltics Media Literacy Curriculum and Training Experts (Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania)
Call for experts:
IREX is recruiting for a pool of local experts to serve as consultants on our Learn to Discern (L2D) Baltics program for short-term assignments. For these assignments, IREX seeks expertise in curriculum development, training, education, media literacy, journalism, fact-checking, and other related disciplines specific to the Baltic countries of Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania.
About Learn to Discern
In the Baltics, IREX’s Learn to Discern (L2D) program is building citizen media literacy in partnership with universities and high schools. The program will benefit youth, particularly university and high school students, as well as the greater public.
IREX is looking for:
Curriculum development and training experts with an understanding of media literacy;
Experts in related disciplines, such as journalism, fact-checking, and education.
About the positions:
IREX is seeking a pool of local experts who have strong experience in developing and delivering training materials and lesson plans. IREX prefers local consultants with expertise in the field of media literacy, including an emphasis on fact-checking, disinformation, stereotypes, social media influence, visual literacy, hate speech, and journalism standards. A hands-on training approach for youth audience is preferred. There is no minimum and no maximum number of experts to be selected under this call.
The experts will work with L2D Baltics staff in Riga, Latvia in adaptation of curriculum on media literacy and may also be called upon to deliver training of trainers (ToT) using L2D Baltics curriculum.
Example Duties and Responsibilities:
- Technical expertise and support to L2D Baltics team in consolidating and presenting information on current country media landscapes;
- Reviewing L2D draft curriculum for Estonia, Latvia or Lithuania based on the received input;
- Adaptation of existing and/or creation of new lessons for the curriculum; lessons will have specific length and structure, that will be determined in consultation with L2D Baltics team;
- Delivery of Training of Trainers (ToT) for youth trainers;
- Other tasks as assigned, based on consultant’s background and program needs.
February 2020: Potential participation in curriculum design workshop (date to be confirmed)
March – June 2020: Curriculum design and adaptation
Summer/Fall 2020: Training of Trainer sessions (dates to be confirmed)
Preferred skills and qualifications:
- Strong experience in curricula development;
- Knowledge and use of interactive methods in developing curricula and training materials;
- Understanding of media literacy;
- Knowledge and field-level experience in working with youth;
- Experience in training preferred; particularly in delivering Training of Trainers (ToT);
- Demonstrated understanding of pedagogy;
- Demonstrated understanding of media landscape and media environment in one or more of the following countries: Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania;
- Languages: fluency in Estonia, Latvian, or Lithuanian required (please indicate in cover letter which country-specific assignment you would like to be considered for); fluency in Russian and/or English preferred.
How to apply:
Preference will be given to individuals with expertise in both curriculum development and training.
Interested individuals should apply to this call by submitting the following documents:
- CV that emphasizes relevant experience for this assignment
- Cover letter
IREX may at its discretion ask for additional information. Issuing this call does not commit IREX to select any proposal/expert. IREX reserves the right, based on availability of funding and consultant performance, to increase the duration and/or enter into subsequent contractual agreements with the selected experts without re-publicizing the opportunity.
IREX is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to building a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world by empowering youth, cultivating leaders, strengthening institutions, and extending access to quality education and information. Founded in 1968, IREX has an annual portfolio of over $80 million, offices in 20 countries, and a global staff of 400. We work in more than 100 countries worldwide.