Political Economy Analysis (PEA) Consultant, PRESTIJ
IREX is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to building a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world by empowering youth, cultivating leaders, strengthening institutions, and extending access to quality education and information.
IREX seeks a qualified short-term consultant to support the USAID-funded project, Pre-Service Teacher Education in Jordan (PRESTIJ). Working with stakeholders including the Queen Rania Teacher Academy (QRTA), PRESTIJ will support universities to improve pre-service teacher education, and assist the Government of Jordan to develop and implement teacher education reforms and address gender disparities in teaching.
In particular, the short-term consultant will be involved in advising on the design and implementation of a problem-based Political Economy Analysis (PEA) to understand the enabling and inhibiting factors affecting teacher recruitment in Jordan. Findings from the PEA will broadly assist IREX to understand and adapt to the political economy, navigate landscape barriers, identify reform champions, and adapt its program management to achieve results during the implementation of PRESTIJ.
Duties and Responsibilities
Working in close collaboration with IREX’s partner subcontractor, the consultant will support the PRESTIJ team to conduct a political economy analysis (PEA) which analyzes the political economy influences on teacher recruitment and the expansion of pre-service teacher preparation in Jordan. Specific tasks include:
- Collaborate with contractor to design a PEA to answer, “What are the inhibiting and enabling factors affecting teacher recruitment and the expansion of pre-service teacher preparation in Jordan to Grade 4-10 teachers?”
- Apply USAID’s Thinking and Working Politically Through Applied Political Economy Analysis: A Guide for Practitioners in the design and implementation of the PEA approach.
- Support analysis of foundational actors; what shapes actors’ behavior in teacher preparation and recruitment; current events that influence actors; and the dynamic of interaction between foundational actors.
- Support analysis of formal and informal “rules of the game” in education and civil service employment in Jordan broadly; gender norms; and the needs and constraints identified by current teachers, prospective teachers, and former teachers who left the profession.
- Support analysis of implications that the local political economy has on teacher recruitment and teacher preparation and draw on findings to identify reform champions, inform reform activities (e.g. incentives for people to join the teaching profession and/or participate in pre-service teacher education), and inform outreach campaign messaging.
- Support IREX to integrate PEA findings into PRESTIJ program design and execution, including contributing to a resulting action plan.
- This role may include travel to Jordan.
Skills and Experience
Required Abilities and Experience
- Understanding of USAID's Thinking and Working Politically (TWP) approach.
- Experience planning, executing, and advising on problem-driven political economy analysis.
- Experience training and preparing others to carry out a PEA.
- Demonstrated ability to integrate PEA findings into program design and execution.
- Strong, self-directed project management with attention to detail.
- Excellent communication skills in English.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills, interpersonal and cross-cultural skills, and the ability to work cooperatively with team members in multiple time zones, partner organizations, and stakeholders from government and education sectors.
Preferred Abilities and Experience
- Experience related to Jordan or the MENA region preferred.
- Experience conducting PEAs or other analyses for education-related projects preferred.
- Knowledge of the pre-service teacher training landscape in Jordan is an advantage.
- Strong quantitative and qualitative analytical skills preferred.
To qualify for this consultancy, candidates must have the qualifications and experience in each of the areas listed under “Required Abilities and Experience,” and be able to provide examples for these. They must have excellent English skills.
Candidates who have the required abilities and experience will be more competitive if they can also demonstrate experience and skills listed under “Preferred Abilities and Experience.”
Please upload a CV with list of references. This position is open until filled.