Director of Human Resources at OCEANAIR
Director of Human Resources
Boston-based OCEANAIR, Inc. has been a leader in international logistics management services and supply chain solutions since 1983. We help companies manage and grow their supply chain operations by offering a complete range of tailored, innovative, and value-added solutions. OCEANAIR’s services include Freight Forwarding, Customs Brokerage, Import & Export Compliance, Domestic Trucking, 3PL Warehousing & Distribution, and PO Management. Our extensive global network of partners delivers cost effective multi-lane and multi-modal transportation management. OCEANAIR has offices located in Boston, MA; Andover, MA; Portland, ME; Denver, CO; and Providence, RI.
OCEANAIR is currently seeking a Director of Human Resources to provide leadership and direction to both the company and its employees. The Director of Human Resources is responsible for all HR processes, including health and welfare benefits plans, recruitment, onboarding/offboarding, and payroll. In addition, the Director of Human Resources will work with leadership on strategic business objectives and contribute to the development of HR Department process improvement and goals.
Why Choose Us?
Culture. OCEANAIR’s culture encourages innovative solutions to problems which include the efficient utilization of technology, education, and training for our employees, subcontractors, clients, agents, and customers.
People. Our attention to detail in personalized account management is delivered by the best of class customer service people from live receptionists to our top executives.
Growth. Since OCEANAIR’s inception, nearly forty years ago, we have experienced substantial growth since with our operations expanding from a small, air freight forwarder to New England’s independent leader in expertise for international logistics.
Innovation. OCEANAIR uses a client-based strategy to ensure we provide a “user-friendly” transportation and tailored logistics management services in a centralized approach, which includes dedicated customer service support and dedicated manager level teams to focus on maintaining stated service levels.
- Manage employee development and relations
- Manage new hire orientation programs; ensure that employees receive the appropriate new hire training
- Use all available job training tools for employees; supervise on-going training initiatives and conduct training when appropriate
- Assist in maintaining effective employee communication channels and communicate performance expectations in accordance with job descriptions for each position
- Review progressive discipline documentation for accuracy and consistency, check for supportive documentation, and determine appropriate action
- Manage employee benefits including employee updates to providers; act as a liaison to resolve employee requests/issues
- Review provider reports for accuracy and correct errors
- Select benefit providers and lead renewals of all plans; manage open enrollment
- Manage recruitment efforts; assist in the sourcing, interviewing, hiring and termination of all employees
- Oversee/monitor candidate identification and selection process
- Manage compensation benchmarking and improvement of job descriptions
- Prepare and distribute bi-weekly payroll accurately and on time
- File all required payroll compliance documents
- Ensure employee files are up to date and compliant
- Ensure all safety and security policies are communicated to employees on a regular basis
- Manage Workers’ Compensation claims to ensure appropriate employee care and manage costs
Qualifications and Skills
- At least 5-10 years’ experience in human resources and management operations
- Familiarity with all aspects of HR including benefits, recruiting, compensation, performance management, legal compliance, etc.
- Strong interpersonal skills, excellent written and verbal communication skills, and exceptional computer skills; ability to partner with employees at all levels
- Excellent organizational and follow up skills, including ability to prioritize and manage time effectively
- A customer service focused attitude and a positive and flexible demeanor
- Ability to work efficiently, adapt easily, and multi-task
- Must have the ability to maintain confidentiality and exercise discretion
Applicants, as well as position incumbents, who become disabled as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act must be able to perform the essential job functions (as listed) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by management on a case by case basis.
OCEANAIR is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity. Applicants for employment and employees are reviewed on their individual qualifications for a position. Under no circumstances will OCEANAIR discriminate against qualified persons on the basis of race, color, religious creed, retaliation, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity/expression, disability, mental illness, genetics, choice of health insurance, marital status, age, veteran status, or any other basis prohibited under applicable law.