Research Associate, Consulting at Lux Research, Inc.
Research Associate, Consulting
Lux Research, Inc.
About Lux Research, Inc.
Lux Research, Inc. (Lux) is your partner in making the strategic tech innovation decisions that drive growth for your organization. We provide analysis, data, and expert opinions through our products and services at key steps in your process. Innovation comes in many forms – from disruptive start-ups, to leading edge research centers, to novel uses of existing technologies and business models. To truly innovate and grow, you need an understanding of the technology, a mastery of the market, plus the most up-to-date objective data. Our products provide all three. And a whole lot more.
Lux Research is actively looking for smart, scientifically minded individuals who are looking to explore employment opportunities outside of a lab or engineering setting! This position is a great entry level opportunity for candidates looking to use their sciences or engineering education in a business setting by working on consulting projects in an advisory services firm.
Research Associates learn and perform a variety of skill sets including researching technologies and markets, analyzing companies, constructing landscapes of innovation in emerging technologies, assessing market opportunities for new technologies, and conducting technical interviews with executives in order to help our clients make better decisions about R&D investments, partnerships, and technology strategy.
A Research Associate spends significant time identifying and analyzing technologies and companies, patents, scientific publications, assessing potential technology impact, and interviewing technology executives, in order to aggregate and associate data for pattern analysis and developing structured datasets and create presentable and logical summaries and conclusions.
We are specifically seeking a Research Associate for our Consulting practice, so you must enjoy and thrive in an intense, deadline driven, multi-tasking, problem solving environment with diverse personalities across a geographically dispersed team.
- Conduct primary and extensive secondary research on emerging technology topics drawing on diverse sources, including business and trade press articles, scientific publications, patent filings, and conference presentations.
- Create data containers and frameworks for the collection and ranking of technologies and companies
- Analyze, rank, and prioritize technologies and companies along logic-driven rulesets
- Execute interviews and briefings with senior executives at innovative companies as well as leaders of cutting-edge university and government labs.
- Contribute to technical and executive level MS PowerPoint deliverables and presentations
Qualifications and Skills
- Given the highly technical focus of our work and our clients' work, a degree in the sciences and/or engineering fields is required; Chemical, Chemistry, Physics and Material Sciences degrees highly preferred
- Any prior work experience in a technical/analytical setting is a plus
- Demonstrated analytic or modeling skills prized
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail; exhibits logical thought, communication, planning, and action in accomplishing multi-step tasks
- Likes and enjoys multitasking and working on multiple subject areas
- Deep intellectual curiosity and desire to learn about emerging technologies and their impact
- Very strong verbal and written communication skills along with the ability and desire to cross collaborate; ability to write and communicate clearly about business and technical topics
- Willingness to do what it takes to meet client needs in a fast paced, client oriented and deadline driven environment; possessing an entrepreneurial, enthusiastic, collegial, and collaborative approach to work is essential to success
- Excellent office software skills
Applicants, as well as position incumbents, who become disabled as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act must be able to perform the essential job functions (as listed) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by management on a case by case basis.
Lux Research, Inc. is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity. Applicants for employment and employees are reviewed on their individual qualifications for a position. Under no circumstances will Lux Research, Inc. discriminate against qualified persons on the basis of race, color, religious creed, retaliation, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity/expression, disability, mental illness, genetics, choice of health insurance, marital status, age, veteran status, or any other basis prohibited under applicable law.