Doctoral Fellowships in the field of Quantum Science and Technology - Quantum Portugal Initiative
The International Iberian Nanotechnology Laboratory (INL) has opened a call for 12 Doctoral Fellowships in the field of Quantum Science and Technology
1. IDENTIFICATION OF FELLOWSHIPS OFFERED
The Laboratório Ibérico Internacional de Nanotecnologia (INL) hereby opens an application procedure for selection of applicants for Doctoral Fellowships, under the Scientific Research Fellowship Statute (RFS), approved by Law 40/2004 of 18 August, as subsequently amended, and the Research Fellowships Regulation of Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia, I.P. (RFR).
The Doctoral Fellowships (DFs) to be awarded, subject to an upper limit of 12 DFs, shall be contracted and funded directly by Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia, I.P. (FCT, I.P.) and, when eligible, by allocations from the European Social Fund through the Portugal 2020 Operational Programmes.
As a rule, the DFs shall have a duration of one year, renewable for a maximum number of months as requested in the application; fellowships shall not be awarded for a period of less than three consecutive months or more than forty-eight months.
2. SCIENTIFIC AREA
Quantum Science and Technology.
3. RESEARCH PLAN, HOST INSTITUTION AND DEGREE, AND SUPERVISORS
Doctoral fellowships shall be awarded to applicants who meet the requirements established in item 4 of this Notice and who seek to conduct research through which they obtain the academic degree of PhD, in the following areas:
1) Quantum communication;
2) Quantum computing;
3) Quantum information science;
4) Quantum materials for quantum science and technology;
5) Sensors and imaging for quantum metrology;
6) Quantum simulation.
INL shall be the host institution for the PhD students.
The research work may be conducted at INL. If so, free access to all INL resources are offered conditioned that an INL researcher is involved in the project.
The academic degree of PhD may be awarded by any Portuguese higher education institution qualified for this purpose in an accredited doctoral programme.
INL shall establish partnerships with the higher education institutions that will award the academic degree of PhD to the selected applicants, with a view to the successful execution of the research work involved in the fellowships funded.
In the applications, applicants must identify:
- The Portuguese higher education institution and doctoral programme in which they intend to enrol in order to obtain the degree of PhD.
- The researcher at the higher education institution awarding the degree of PhD who will act as supervisor of the research work.
- The INL researcher who will act as co-supervisor if there will be research work conducted at the host institution.
The research programme must be drawn up so as to take into account the contributions of the supervisor and co-supervisor.
Applicants must comply with the following requirements:
- Be a Portuguese citizen, a European Union citizen or a non-European Union Citizen that can be eligible to obtain permit to reside in Portugal;
- Hold a Master Degree (at time of enrolment) (or an equivalent degree) in the field of Physics, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Physical Engineering, Physical Chemistry, Mathematics, Computer Science, Information Technology, Quantum Materials Science, Modelling, Simulation or a closely related discipline;
- Fluency in English is required;
- Not have benefited from a doctoral fellowship or in-company doctoral fellowship directly funded by FCT, irrespective of its duration.
5. DEADLINE AND FORM OF APPLICATIONS
5.1. The Application Procedure is open from 10 July, until 4 October 2019, 23:00 Lisbon Time.
5.2. Applications are submitted online, accompanied by the relevant documents, within the respective submission deadline.
For the application to be valid, applicants must complete all the necessary sections of the online application form, and also send all the documents identified as required.
5.3. Candidates must enclose the following supporting documents in pdf format, failing which the application will not be considered for evaluation:
- Motivation letter (1 page);
- Research programme, detailing the prospective research work (Template);
- List of publications, patents, posters and awards won by applicant (when applicable);
- Certificates of academic degrees;
- At least two letters of recommendation;
- CV of supervisor and co-supervisor (CV Template), highlighting proven evidence of supervisory capacity, experience, list of projects and research work undertaken, highlighting those conducted in the past five years, list of publications, patents, awards, etc.
Note: The documents must be submitted through the online platform Jobvite, in the “additional files” section using the "add portfolio" icon that appears in the application form.
5.4. In the case of academic degrees awarded by foreign higher education institutions, only those recognised in accordance with the applicable Portuguese legislation shall be considered for the purposes of assessment.
6. HOST INSTITUTION
INL - Laboratório Ibérico Internacional de Nanotecnologia with registered office at Av. Mestre José Veiga S/N – 4715 – 330 Braga.
7. SELECTION AND SCORING METHODS
7.1. Applicants will be selected in two stages: the first stage entails an assessment of the Merits of the Applicant, the Research Plan and the Hosting Conditions (A1), (90%); the second stage entails an Interview (A2), (10%).
7.2. Stage 1: Assessment of the Merits of the Applicant, the Research Plan and Hosting Conditions (A1).
At this stage, applicants will be evaluated in accordance with the following criteria:
• The merit of the applicant, assessed through the Curriculum Vitae assessment, motivation letter and letters of recommendation, on the basis of academic training, professional experience, scientific output and motivation (40%);
• Merit of the research plan, assessed on the basis of: relevance of topic, scientific quality of state of the art, methodology and feasibility of research programme (40%);
• Merit of hosting conditions, assessed on the basis of: scientific merit and experience of co-supervisor and resources made available by INL and higher education institutions for implementation of the proposed research plan (20%).
7.3. In the interview (A2), an assessment is made of the applicant's knowledge, technical skills, motivation and availability. Interviews will be conducted through web conference or face-to-face meetings, as may be deemed appropriate. This criterion will have a total valuation of 10%.
7.4. Only applicants with a score of 80% or more shall be selected for stage 2 (A2 - Interview). Applicants will be selected for interview by e-mail, sent no less than 5 working days prior to the date set for the interview.
7.5. Each of the selection methods is eliminatory.
At stage 1 (A1), applicants scoring less than 80% are excluded.
At stage 2, applicants who fail to attend the interview or obtain a score of less than 5% in the interview are excluded.
7.6. Applicants who successfully complete the selection process are ranked in accordance with the quantitative scores obtained in each selection phase.
8. SELECTION PANEL
INL shall appoint a selection panel comprising no less than three experts of recognised experience and scientific merit selected from academe and/or industry, chaired by one of the panel members. The membership of the panel shall be announced by the start of the application assessment process.
9. PUBLICATION AND NOTIFICATION OF RESULTS
All notices to applicants shall be made by e-mail to the address stated on the application form over the R&S online platform, and the results of the selection process shall also be announced to all applicants by the same means.
10. DURATION OF FELLOWSHIP, VALUE OF MONTHLY MAINTENANCE ALLOWANCE
In accordance with the RFR, fellowships have a duration of one year, renewable for up to a maximum of four years, and it is foreseeable that they will commence in October 2019.
The monthly maintenance allowance (MMA) to be awarded is 1,003.26 euros. Payment of the MMA and other grant items established in the RFR for doctoral fellowships, and also payment of the costs resulting from the fellow's decision to enrol for the voluntary social security system (scale 1), shall be made monthly by FCT, by wire transfer to the account identified by the fellow in the procedure for contracting the fellowship.
Applicants selected shall perform the duties of research fellow on an exclusive basis in accordance with the RFS.
11. NON-DISCRIMINATION AND EQUAL ACCESS POLICY
INL promotes a non-discrimination and equal access policy, wherefore no candidate can be privileged, benefited, impaired or deprived of any rights whatsoever, or be exempt of any duties based on their ancestry, age, sex, sexual preference, marital status, family and economic conditions, instruction, origin or social conditions, genetic heritage, reduced work capacity, disability, chronic illness, nationality, ethnic origin or race, origin territory, language, religion, political or ideological convictions and union membership.
12. APPLICABLE LEGISLATION AND REGULATIONS
Law 40/2004, of 18 August, as subsequently amended, approving the Research Fellowship Statute:
FCT I.P. Research Fellowship Regulation, Regulation 234/2012, as subsequently amended, available at:
Note: This advertisement rectifies the one published on July 10th 2019.