Business Clerk - IDEA Walzem (Immediate Opening)
IDEA Public Schools:
At IDEA Public Schools, we believe in college for ALL and we are committed to ensuring that each and every one of our students graduates from college. IDEA Public Schools has grown from a small school to the fastest-growing network of tuition-free Pre-K-12 public charter schools in the United States sending 100% of our students to college. 58% of our students graduate from college in 6 years – that’s 8 times the national rate for students in our communities!
IDEA was founded in 2001 as a single school with 150 students in the Rio Grande Valley. When interest exceeded building capacity, to meet the demands, IDEA co-founders committed to serving more students in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas and beyond. Under their continued leadership, today, we serve tens of thousands of students across Texas and Louisiana. By 2022, IDEA will serve 100,000 students in communities across the country. Be on the lookout for IDEA schools opening near you in the coming months—our upcoming schools will be in Tarrant County (Fort Worth/Arlington), New Orleans, Houston (2020), Midland/Odessa (2021), and Tampa Bay (2021)!
When you choose to work at IDEA, you aren’t just an employee. You are a part of our IDEA Team and Family. You will work alongside team members who set and reach ambitious goals every day, are excited to continue to grow with IDEA, and work relentlessly to make college for all a reality.
To learn a bit more about IDEA, check out this video:
About San Antonio:
San Antonio is the nation’s 7th largest city and boasts the highest rate population of population growth across the U.S. As the San Antonio region continues to grow rapidly, IDEA is committed to increasing our community presence to provide the best experience for all families and children.
In May 2019, we are excited to welcome our first graduating seniors out of the 11,800 students we serve across 22 schools in the San Antonio region. We believe through the hard work of our passionate IDEA Team & Family, college acceptance and matriculation can be realized. Currently, 1 in 6 San Antonio students graduate college-ready. Changing this statistic for the better is part of the promise IDEA makes to current and incoming students.
Join our IDEA San Antonio family as we are poised to serve 29,000 students at 37 local schools by 2022.
Role Mission: Business Clerks serve as a financial steward for their campus. This includes managing $600K-$1.4M across two Principal budgets, procurement through purchase orders and leader purchase cards, school-based activity accounts central to local fundraising, supporting student recruitment, enrollment and average daily attendance. Business Clerks are essential to ensuring students and staff have the resources they need to accomplish our ambitious student achievement goals.
- Build and manage school budgets.
- Submit 100% accurate campus discretionary budget requests overall and by fund in IDEA’s enterprise resource planning system, Tyler Munis, by April 4, 2019.
- Manage $600K-$1.4M in Principal discretionary budgets which support student and staff across both schools of a campus. Ensure school leaders are informed regarding the financial state of their school through consistent monthly check-ins and robust report sharing.
- Reconcile negative discretionary budget accounts by the 8th business day every month.
- Partner with the Financial Planning Team to accurately forecast results by school to ensure local financial goals are met and schools end the year with a surplus or on target.
- Procure goods and services in compliance with IDEA policies and procedures.
- Enter 100% of requisitions in Tyler Munis within two business days of the initial request from campus staff.
- Ensure timely vendor payments by receiving 100% of all goods or services in Tyler Munis within one business day of delivery and include all appropriate documentation such as packing slips.
- Procure all goods or services with an approved purchase order (with the exception of purchase card expenses).
- Reconcile all assigned purchase cards by the 2nd business day of the following month. Ensure all corresponding purchase card receipts are shared by the 3rd business day of the following month and include an accurate transaction summary report.
- Assist school leaders in delivering training sessions to campus staff regarding procurement policies and procedures, including student travel for field lessons, short-term rentals, and food for students and staff.
- Manage local campus and student activity accounts.
- Support precise fundraising balance reporting by submitting accurate and complete cash receipt documentation for all campus and student activity fund deposits by the last day of the month.
- Enter 100% of local account requisitions in Tyler Munis within two business days of the initial request from campus staff.
- Assist school leaders in delivering training to campus staff regarding campus and student activity fund policies and procedures.
- Ensure all staff managing fundraising efforts have completed cash handling training.
- Complete an annual physical inventory.
- Locate and scan 100% of campus capital assets and 90% of inventory items by the provided deadline.
- Tag all new assets with a per unit cost greater than $1,000 with the correct label.
- We look for Team and Family who embody the following values and characteristics:
- Believes and is committed to our mission and being an agent of change: that all students are capable of getting to and through college
- Has demonstrated effective outcomes and results, and wants to be held accountable for them
- Has a propensity for action, willing to make mistakes by doing in order to learn and improve quickly
- Works with urgency and purpose to drive student outcomes
- Thrives in an entrepreneurial, high-growth environment; is comfortable with ambiguity and change
- Seeks and responds well to feedback, which is shared often and freely across all levels of the organization
- Works through silos and forges strong cross-departmental relationships in order to achieve outcomes
- We believe in education as a profession and hold ourselves to high level of conduct, professionalism and behaviors as models for our colleagues and students.
- Mission Focus – focuses on IDEA’s core purpose of getting all students into college
- Record of Results – holds high expectations for self and others to achieve and surpass intended goals
- Problem Solving – able to synthesize, analyze, and prioritize data and opportunities to develop strategies for achieving quantifiable goals
- Communication – effectively conveys information using a variety of channels and techniques
- Continuous Improvement – proactively identifies opportunities to improve and consistently reflects on past actions to guide future decisions
- Education: HS diploma or GED required
- Experience: 1-2 years of accounting experience preferred
Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of basic accounting procedures.
Ability to utilize Enterprise Resource Planning System databases and analyze data in Excel.
- Ability to communicate effectively communicate financial goals, recommendations and results.
- Salaries for this role typically fall between $15.38 and $19.22, commensurate with relevant experience and qualifications.
IDEA Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex or disability, in admission or access to, or treatment of employment in its programs and activities. Any person having inquiries concerning the organization's compliance with the regulations implementing Title VI of Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VI), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Section 504), or Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), may contact IDEA Human Resources at (956) 377-8000.