Job Title: Deckhand Assistant
Location: Woods Hole, MA
IBSS is looking for a Deckhand Assistant to provide seasonal support onboard NOAA fishery and oceanographic survey vessels based out of Woods Hole, MA. The deckhand will support the Officer in Charge (OIC), Junior Officer in Charge (JOIC), and Master deckhand with vessel operations and maintenance on trips 5-20 days in length with some dockside work expected. If you are looking to be an instrumental part of a growing, employee and customer-focused company working on exciting issues in environmental science and other marine /coastal resources, we want to hear from you!
- Assist in deploying and retrieving sampling gear to include nets, trawls, grabs, dredges, probes, CTDs, or other instruments used to accomplish scientific investigations.
- Assist with meal preparation and routine housekeeping chores, including cleaning interior decks and head, and other duties.
- Assist in the loading and unloading of ship’s stores, supplies, and scientific gear.
- Assist with docking exercises and line handling.
- Conduct underway lookout and anchor watches as requested by the OIC.
- Assist OIC, JOIC, and Master Deckhand in maintenance and repair tasks
- Safely deploy and retrieve sampling gear.
- Repair trawl gear and hydraulic equipment as necessary when underway.
- Safely and efficiently manage deck operations while underway.
- Effectively communicate and work as a team member while underway
- Dockside work includes vessel maintenance, repairs, upgrades, and planning for future work
- In case of an emergency or urgency, obey the lawful orders of the OIC or the JOIC in such situations as fire, flooding, collision, man overboard, or abandon ship, while underway, anchored, or alongside.
- Shall abide by and enforce all statutory, safety, and operational standards for ships and seamen.
- Possess a positive and calm demeanor to include the ability to accept frustrating and trying situations beyond your control, and behave in an amiable fashion with all embarked personnel.
- Deckhands must possess the physical fitness and stamina necessary for performing duties entailed
- Moderate to substantial effort will be required while operating controls and handling gear.
- Coordination is necessary to operate controls while safely maneuvering instruments over the side of the vessel.
- Adequate strength in the arms, legs and back as well as good balance, agility, and the ability to anticipate rolling and pitching movements of the vessel are needed to move and work when the boat is pitching violently in storm or heavy seas.
- Must conduct work while experiencing periods of motion or sea sickness.
- Occasionally be required to lift, carry, and position items weighing up to 60 pounds.
- Ability to work long days, typically 12 hours in length with longer days up to 20 hours.
- Expect exposure to all types of weather for varying durations of time.
- Expect exposure to possible injuries by moving equipment or falls on slippery and moving decks or ladders.
- May be required to go aloft, with exposure to possible falls from as high as 40’ above the water line of the vessel.
- US Merchant Mariner document/credential
- CPR/First Aid/AED Certification
- Shall successfully pass a drug test and background check
About IBSS Corp
IBSS is a Woman-Owned, WBENC-certified and MBE/DBE-certified business. Since 1992, IBSS has provided specialized professional, scientific, technical, cybersecurity, IT, and software engineering solutions to the Federal sector. Our clients include the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), the Department of Defense (DoD), and the Department of Justice (DOJ).
We are committed to serving our clients and employees by delivering service excellence, creating value through technology, and continually improving our skills, services, and processes. Moreover, we maintain an ISO 9001:2015 certification which allows us to optimize current industry best practices to enhance delivery outcomes for our clients.
IBSS offers a competitive benefits package including paid vacation, medical, dental, vision and prescription drug coverage with company-paid deductible, matching 401K plan, tuition/training reimbursement, and Flex-Spending (FSA)/Dependent Care Account (DCA) options.
IBSS is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Please submit requests for additional information and qualified resumes to: firstname.lastname@example.org