Display Shop Specialist
Does designing, building and collaboration spark joy in you? If so, than look no further! We are seeking a master builder that can deliver timely completion of sets, displays, programs and events across our organization.
You have a background in set design/construction and are skilled with using shop equipment. You are creative, easy going, efficient and a critical thinker. You are passionate about producing quality work, enjoy collaboration and thrive in a well organized shop. You don’t mind travelling a few times a year setting up displays for special events and trade shows.
- Establishes work schedules, assigns work and trains shop employees. Adjusts work as needed to meet production schedules.
- Design lighting plots and direct hanging and focusing, set light levels and cues as well as run lights for programs and events.
- Employ advance carpentry skills in construction of scenery and displays. This includes, but not limited to flat construction, platform construction, crate/road box construction, trim carpentry and hard woods and specialty projects. Assists with general painting of scenes and displays.
- Use of router skills for circles, arches and arcs will be employed. Finish carpentry with miters and compound miters, as well as lamination of materials will be used.
- Purchases supplies, ensure adequate inventory, plan budgets, prioritize purchases, prepare cost estimates and document their purchases. Keep accurate records.
- Works with Display Manager and other Hunter Douglas staff to resolve project issues/roadblocks.
- Make on-road decisions with technical aspects of the scenery and displays. I.e. the exact placement of scenery and displays and troubleshooting problems as they arise.
- Maintains shop inventories and maintenance of shop tools.
- Oversees the shipping and receiving of Learning and Development materials in the warehouse.
- Assists the Field Trainers with training set up for product displays, as needed.
- Travel to off-site events, as necessary.
- Assists with A/V set up and operations for programs and events.
Acceptable Training and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Working knowledge of design, exhibit construction and architectural materials.
- 3-5 years previous shop experience.
- Must have/obtain a Colorado driver’s license and submit to DMV license check upon hire with periodic checks.
Qualifications and KSA’s
- Ability to design lighting for programs and events as well as hanging, running and focusing lights.
- Ability to be open to the input of others and willing to work as a team member.
- Ability to work long hours as needed.
- Ability to earn a forklift license at Hunter Douglas. Must complete required training to maintain license.
- Solid knowledge of electricity and simple wiring.
- Solid knowledge of and experience with Audio/Visual equipment and the ability to run it for programs and events.
- Solid knowledge in PC skills. Computer software to include Word, Excel, Gmail.
- Expert knowledge of standard theater carpentry techniques.
- Expert math skills. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Expert attention for detail.
- Expert ability to read, understand and translate technical drawing into cut lists, etc.
- Expert ability to manage stress and to work under pressure.
- Expert problem solving skills.
- Expert theater carpentry skills including but not limited to working with a table saw, chop saw, band saw, planner, drill press pneumatic tools, standing sander, circular saw, sanders, jig saw, router and all hand tools and saws. Exercise safety practices when using aforementioned tools.
- Expert theater carpentry skills working with a wide range of materials including but not limited to laminates, Medium Density Fiberboard, plywoods, hardwoods, fabrics, foams and plastics.
Hunter Douglas is the world’s leading manufacturer of window coverings. Our strength is our ability to develop innovative, high-quality, proprietary products that can be found in millions of homes and commercial buildings around the globe. Across the board and throughout the world, we have set new standards in research, design and technology. By constantly innovating and pairing our designs with the most elegant performance fabrics, we create long-lasting unique window treatments whose beauty, functionality, durability, and innovation are simply like no other.
Benefits of working for Hunter Douglas include:
- Generous paid time off that accrues immediately; 11 paid holidays, new parent and family care time off and 12 hours of paid volunteer work.
- Medical, dental, vision plan, life, STD, LTD, AD&D, dependent life, flexible spending accounts, pre-paid legal, and pet insurance.
- 401(k) with 6% company match and annual retirement contribution, college investment savings program.
- Employee development including education tuition assistance, and on-site development through Hunter Douglas University.
- Robust wellness program; on-site managed fitness center free to employees.
- Generous discount on window coverings.
- Charitable contribution match, employee assistance program, adoption assistance, dependent scholarships, on-site physical therapists and more!