Quality Engineer / Supervisor
Department: Quality Assurance
Position Title:Quality Engineer/Supervisor (Salary Exempt)
Position Reports To:Quality Manager
Division:Hunter Douglas, Metals & Distribution
Objective of Position:
Develop quality standards and specifications, implement quality procedures and analyze quality challenges.
General Description of Position:
Responsible for developing and maintaining quality plans. Works with the marketing departments of various Hunter Douglas Divisions for approval of color standards and maintains color standards. Analyzes quality problems and develops procedures to correct them. Keeps statistical records on quality issues and generates graphs and charts to analyze trends in customer returns. Analyzes and initiates action on customer complaints and Corrective Action Requests. Uses basic quality tools, FMEA, DMAIC, etc. to evaluate and improve processes. Performs First Article inspections on new or revised products. Evaluate non-conformances and develop corrective actions. Will also work with and oversee the day to day activities of the Quality Technicians.
Listed below are some of the general duties considered necessary to perform the
essential functions of this position. However, these shall not be construed as a detailed
and complete position description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the
General Responsibilities and Duties:
General responsibilities and duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Support Quality Initiatives and Programs as assigned.
- Coordinate inspection of discrepant or suspect parts or material with Production, supplier or third party when applicable
- Participate or Lead Failure Analysis and Root Cause and Corrective Requests Action Investigations
- Report process quality metrics
- Communicate process issues/ problems/ concerns to Management.
- Generate special Quality Instructions and/or procedures as needed to contain quality issues or to assist with process validations.
- Develop/ Track internal metrics, identify opportunities for continuous improvement and lead improvement initiatives.
- Provide validation support by applying manufacturing quality tools including, but not limited to: FMEA, DFMEA, PFMEA, IQ, OQ, PQ, control plans, process verification/validation plans, Cpk, Cp, SPC, DOE, process data analysis, and DMAIC.
- Perform First Article inspections using vision measuring system. Communicate with supplier and customer in the approval process.
- Develop criteria for quality plans for new or revised products.
- Manage warehouse inspections
- Inspect or oversee inspection of returned goods and processing of RGAs
- Ability to read technical mechanical drawings
- Use various types of inspection equipment such as calipers, micrometers, color spectrophotometer, gloss meter, film thickness meter, vision measuring system, etc.
- Manage calibration of instruments
- Oversee color master standards
- Develop knowledge of Aluminum Association tolerances, ASTM, ANSI, etc.
- Miscellaneous duties as assigned by Quality Manager
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering related discipline or other technical field from accredited university, as well as 3-5 years manufacturing quality related experience.
- Must have good communication skills.
- Position requires a detail-oriented person with ability to handle several different projects at once.
- Experience or training in Quality Management Systems is required (preferably ISO 9001:2015)
- Basic understanding of SPC (Statistical Process Control), process capability studies, trend analysis, FMEA and DMIAC.
- Must score “Superior Discrimination” on Farnsworth-Munsell 100 Color Hue Test.
- Able to understand and use ASTM, Aluminum Association, ANSI and other standards to write quality specifications and procedures.
- Cad experience preferred
- SAP experience preferred