Manufacturing/ Fabrication Engineer
One of our amazing engineers is retiring and we are looking for a new engineer to join our team! At our Broomfield, CO site we manufacture fabrics for the Hunter Douglas Luxury shades and we also fabricate/ build the shades here. Our Process Engineering team supports the fabrication and manufacturing processes by ensuring safety, efficiency, and innovation for our production personnel, as well as working closely with product engineers to create processes that will continue to enhance the Hunter Douglas product line offerings.
- Strong mechanical aptitude and an eye for human-centered design and safety
- Works well in a collaborative environment with a customer service mindset
- Willing to continually learn and try new things
- Collaborates closely with Product Engineering on early test product builds
to understand product design intent features and to begin to develop concepts for fabrication and assembly processes.
- Collaborates closely with Fabrication department leadership and floor personnel in their assigned product work area to identify opportunities for improvements in safety, quality, productivity and costs savings. Collects and analyzes data to quantify opportunities.
- Uses Siemens NX CAD software to design fabrication equipment, fixtures, and tools. Designs builds and tests prototypes. Independently researches solutions to design & process challenges.
- Effectively manages multiple projects and tasks. Utilizes project
management tools (project plans, timelines, resource requirements, regular
communication & status update meetings, etc...).
- Designs production equipment, tools and fixtures utilizing computer-aided design software. Develops new manufacturing and fabrication processes to support production area needs.
- Uses test methods to gather data and analyze new and existing production equipment and processes to evaluate quality, efficiency, safety, and operator ergonomics. Identifies opportunities for improvement and develops potential solutions. Works with Engineering and Operations leadership to initiate, test and implement improvement projects.
- Develops project plans and timelines to meet identified goals. Manages multiple projects. Coordinates project priorities and activities with guidance and direction from engineering management.
- Directs Engineering and Maintenance Technicians in building and testing production equipment and prototypes. Directs Engineering Technicians and Production Operators in machine, process, and product qualification testing.
- Works with Operations personnel to develop procedures and training on new processes, new production equipment, and modifications made to existing processes and equipment.
- Researches and reviews technological advances that can be incorporated into the workplace through use of trade and industry publications, trade shows and contact with equipment and technology suppliers.
Acceptable Training and Experience: Must possess a technical degree.
Qualifications and KSA’s:
Solid knowledge of Geometric tolerancing (GD&T).
Solid knowledge of general machinery: motors, drive systems, tension control systems, and pneumatics, unwind / rewind systems, actuators, heating / cooling systems, etc.
Solid knowledge of project management from a conceptual design phase to implementation.
Solid knowledge in developing project plans, including: task lists, timelines, resource requirements & budgets.
Solid knowledge in communicating in both written and verbal form with other Engineers, suppliers and representatives of other departments
Basic knowledge of the design systems and capabilities of PLC’s (Programmable Logic Controls) and principals of automation.
Desired knowledge of web handling production equipment used in the paper, fabric, film and printing industry.
Desired knowledge of the physical properties of fabrics and compositional changes that occur during the manufacturing process.
Desired knowledge of external (OSHA, NFPA, ANSI & ISO) machine safety standards.
Desired knowledge of the principles of electrical wiring to be used on production equipment.
Skill with basic hand tools. Basic machining skills (saws, drills / drill press, mills & lathes).
Skill to utilize CAD software to design mechanical parts & systems (up to complete complex machine assemblies).
Ability to build prototypes and complex mechanical systems.
Ability to gather and analyze data to determine cause & effect relationships.
Ability to read and understand mechanical drawings and schematics.
Ability to diagnose & troubleshoot machinery issues.
Hunter Douglas is the world’s leading manufacturer of window coverings. Our strength is our ability to develop innovative, high-quality, proprietary products that can be found in millions of homes and commercial buildings around the globe. Across the board and throughout the world, we have set new standards in research, design and technology. By constantly innovating and pairing our designs with the most elegant performance fabrics, we create long-lasting unique window treatments whose beauty, functionality, durability, and innovation are simply like no other.
About the Window Fashions Division:
Hunter Douglas Window Fashions Division is located in Broomfield, Colorado, midway between Boulder and Denver with outstanding views of the Rockies. The campus encompasses 756,000 square feet of office and manufacturing space. Roughly 1000 employees work at this location to produce proprietary and upscale products such as Duette® Honeycomb Shades,
Benefits of working for Hunter Douglas Window Fashions include:
- Generous paid time off that accrues immediately; 11 paid holidays, new parent and family care time off and 12 hours of paid volunteer work.
- Medical, dental, vision plan, life, STD, LTD, AD&D, dependent life, flexible spending accounts, pre-paid legal, and pet insurance.
- 401(k) with 6% company match and annual retirement contribution, college investment savings program.
- Employee development including education tuition assistance, and on-site development through Hunter Douglas University.
- Robust wellness program; on-site managed fitness center free to employees.
- Generous discount on window coverings.
- Charitable contribution match, employee assistance program, adoption assistance, dependent scholarships, on-site physical therapists and more!