Senior IT Systems Engineer, Database Administrator
IT SENIOR SYSTEMS ENGINEER, DATABASE ADMINISTRATOR
Hunter Douglas is the established worldwide design leader and most sought after name in custom window fashions and a major manufacturer of architectural products. Ever since we created the aluminum blind in 1946, we have continued to redefine our industry with award-winning revolutionary products that deliver extraordinary style and unrivaled functionality at the window. The belief that great design informs all design is the driving philosophy of our company. It fuels our ongoing development of new and proprietary products that lend exceptional beauty and style to the décor while also providing technologically advanced solutions to everyday practical needs, such as insulation at the window, managing natural light, the convenience of motorization, enhanced child safety, sound absorption and much more. Some may think of it as just covering a window. At Hunter Douglas, we see it as The Art of Window Dressing™.
Hunter Douglas has always been a home for innovative thinkers. Established by entrepreneurs, our culture is one of innovation that attracts the best and the brightest. We pride ourselves as a group of passionate and creative individuals continuously seeking out new and novel ways to advance our company, our industry and our employees. With numerous benefits encouraging wellness and growth, Hunter Douglas regards its people as its most valuable resource.
As a Senior Systems Engineer, Database Administrator on the Hunter Douglas IT team you will be primarily responsible for the overall database architecture, development and maintenance of the databases used enterprise wide. You will work closely with the various teams to ensure SQL queries are optimal and perform without issues. You will also assist the team with Unix/Linux OS and Netapp SAN storage administration as well as system backups via Commvault software.
- Design and execute overall database architecture strategy, standards and practices as part of a team.
- Work closely with project teams to develop data models that support business processes.
- Support all areas of the enterprise, ensuring all databases run at optimal performance.
- Work with development teams on designing, reviewing and optimizing SQL queries.
- Proactively identify and troubleshoot databases performance issues.
- Oversees and performs documentation, testing and debugging on a project basis.
- Provides guidance and training to less-experienced staff.
- Work directly with end users and other technical teammates to deliver projects.
- Assist with Unix/Linux OS and Netapp SAN storage administration.
- Learn and support a variety of systems and applications.
- Troubleshoot problems and create solutions/options for resolution.
- Perform testing & review of all changes/solutions.
- A strong desire to continuously teach themselves new things.
- Participate in on-call rotation and occasional off-hours activities (system support, DR tests, quarterly maintenance weekends, DBMS upgrades, etc.).
- Project Management, time Management and Multitasking across a wide variety of projects.
- Solid knowledge of Apache HTTP server a plus.
- Expert knowledge of database tools (sqlplus, data pump, SQL Developer, etc)
- Expert knowledge of database systems, table design and query optimizations.
- Expert knowledge in the planning, designing and architecture of database systems.
- Solid knowledge of Oracle Enterprise Manager (12c/13c) for monitoring and tuning.
- Solid knowledge of Unix/Linux/Windows operating systems.
- Solid knowledge of designing and administering backups. (Commvault a plus)
- Solid knowledge of designing and performing disaster recovery tests.
- Solid knowledge of researching issues as they arise.
- Solid knowledge of terminal emulation to access and support all systems.
- Solid knowledge of scripting (shell, AWK, Perl, etc)
- Solid knowledge of MS Office products.
- Basic knowledge of SAP BASIS functions.
- Basic knowledge of HANA and/or S/4 HANA.
- Ability to function in an environment where small teams perform multiple complex technical tasks.
- Ability to discuss systems in both technical and lay terms.
- Ability to apply critical thinking, multi-tasking, prioritizing, patience, motivation.
- Ability to think, respond quickly and accurately under stress.
- Ability to demonstrate solid verbal and written communication skills to effectively respond to customers.
- Ability to manage/deliver projects.
- Ability to perform job duties with limited supervision.
- Ability to demonstrate consistent job performance and professional demeanor.
- Ability to exhibit initiative in serving customer needs in a timely fashion.
- Ability to resolve difficult customer situations through creative problem-solving while maintaining non-emotional, professional behavior.
- Ability to clearly articulate the reasons for their selected solutions.
Acceptable Training and Experience includes a Bachelors degree in information technology or a related field and a minimum of 6-8 years DBA experience with installations and upgrades of Oracle 11g, 12c, 18c and 19c. Other databases such as MSSQL 2012-2017, MYSQL, AWS Aurora, and Postgres are desired. Previous experience with administration of in-house enterprise hardware, O/S, and SAN storage is desired. Familiar with Amazon Web Services (AWS) service stack is a plus.