User Research Lead
Position: User Research Lead
Location: Seattle, WA or San Francisco, CA or Taipei, Taiwan
HTC Creative Labs
HTC Creative Labs is a global team of designers, artists, engineers and researchers that delivers design strategy and incubates new products and experiences for the HTC portfolio. This team is responsible for much of HTC’s most significant design work over the past decade. Our current focus is on creating next generation XR software and hardware experiences for the HTC VIVE brand. Our process relies on the collaboration of exceptionally talented individuals to create products that offer functional benefits and emotional resonance to our target audiences.
We’re looking for an experienced User Researcher to lead our global User Research team. In this role, you will manage the team responsible for designing and executing research studies that inform and expand our collective knowledge about our customers to directly impact VIVE hardware and software products and the VIVE brand. Your team will draw from a variety of established methodologies, and, under your leadership, improve and develop new research methods and processes within Creative Labs. In this role, you will report directly to the Head of Creative Labs and will work closely with the leads of the other disciplines to deliver the XR computing platform of the future.
- Manage, mentor, and develop a small team of researchers.
- Establish and evangelize the research strategy for the Creative Labs organization.
- Leverage research to drive Creative Labs’ innovation strategy and project roadmap.
- Contribute to an evolving user-centered design culture at HTC.
- Identify and prioritize project-based user research opportunities, as well as strategic research initiatives across other organizations within HTC.
- Innovate on how research fits into the design and product development process in order to more effectively guide design and product development at HTC.
- Quantify the value and impact of user research.
- Lead the patent disclosure and R&D reporting process for Creative Labs.
- Manage relationships with research vendors, including onboarding new vendors, negotiating new contracts with existing vendors, and facilitating the contract and invoice approval processes.
- Build and manage collaborative relationships across HTC with global product teams, business units, marketing teams, industrial design teams and hardware and software engineering teams.
- Lead generative research projects to understand the needs and desires of the target audience, develop new design concepts and identify product opportunities.
- Lead evaluative research projects to validate and refine interaction designs and deliver successful user experiences.
- Lead secondary research projects to collect relevant data and provide a comprehensive perspective on a design topic.
- Collect and analyze data from multiple sources, including business intelligence data, to understand users’ behavior and provide actionable guidance to product teams.
The successful candidate will have:
- A passion for the future of XR.
- 8+ years of user research experience (or equivalent training in a post-graduate program).
- M.S. or Ph.D. in HCI, Human Factors, Cognitive Psychology, Applied Anthropology or a closely related field with relevant work experience in user research; a master’s degree with coursework in research methodologies is strongly preferred.
- Extensive experience in a variety of user research methodologies and analytic skills; experience with ergonomic evaluation is a bonus.
- Extensive experience leveraging research findings to impact the product design, as well as the project’s or organization’s strategy or direction.
- A strong interest in working on multiple research projects at different phases, from early-phase exploration to prototype testing to post-release data analysis.
- Experience guiding products through the whole product lifecycle; experience with XR products is preferred.
- Experience leading multi-disciplinary teams of UX designers/researchers, planners, and engineers.
- Excellent interpersonal and collaboration skills.
- Excellent project management and communication skills.
- Strong indirect and direct leadership skills.
- Experience working with a global team.
We should get to know each other if you:
- Are thrilled by the chance to observe, learn, and understand the behaviors, needs, and desires of people using XR.
- Are committed to making an impact with your work.
- Love to work with professionals from different disciplines to create great products.
- Enjoy finding interesting questions to answer and finding interesting ways to answer questions.
- Love to work with international, cross-cultural teams.
HTC is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at our company. We are committed to equal employment opportunity and encourage people from all walks of life to apply without regard to race, color, ancestry, sex, national origin, citizenship, genetics, marital status, veteran status, age, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, sexual orientation, or any other status or characteristic protected by law. HTC does not tolerate discrimination or harassment at any point during our employees’ and applicants’ time with us, including with respect to recruitment, hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, training, compensation, benefits, leaves of absence, and general treatment during employment.