Position: Creative Director
Location: San Francisco, CA
HTC Creative Labs
HTC Creative Labs is a product design, prototyping and incubation studio that provides design strategy for all of HTC and collaborates directly with teams in Taipei and San Francisco to bring new designs to market. This team is responsible for much of HTC’s most significant product and experience design work over the past decade. Our current focus is on creating next generation XR hardware and software experiences for the HTC VIVE brand. We are a small, cross-functional team of designers, artists, engineers, and researchers with the feel of a startup. Our process relies on the collaboration of exceptionally talented individuals to create products that offer functional benefits and emotional resonance to our target audiences.
HTC Creative Labs is looking for an experienced creative director who can lead our talented industrial design, CMF and mechanical engineering teams to deliver breakthrough results in VR and AR. In this role, you will direct the creative team that prototypes new product concepts, delivers the production designs for Vive products, and crafts the Vive design and CMF system for the whole company. You will have the opportunity to continue to develop an emerging design process and culture in our global studios. As Creative Director, you will be a member of the Creative Labs leadership team, working closely with the other functional leads to position HTC to deliver the spatial computing products, experiences and platform of the future.
- Be responsible for the success of the overall product strategy, design and implementation for all HTC VIVE products.
- Recruit, mentor, manage, develop and retain a highly talented team of designers, ensuring high impact contributions and individual career growth.
- Inspire and motivate design team members to create work beyond their expectations.
- Build creative briefs for new projects by establishing project goals, design direction, schedule, deliverables and other project parameters.
- Collaborate with design team members and cross-functional stakeholders to conceive and prototype new XR products.
- Create the HTC VIVE design language/system that guides both internal and external teams to create VIVE-branded products.
- Provide design feedback, coaching and creative direction throughout projects to ensure world-class results.
- Create and manage the creation of inspiring mood boards and style explorations.
- Translate mood boards into tangible sketches and product concepts.
- Create and manage the creation of both functional and appearance mockups that help iterate and evolve design concepts.
- Present and evangelize design team work to stakeholders throughout the company, including members of the executive team. Anticipate executive team goals and present solutions.
- Interpret and incorporate input from stakeholders beyond the design team into further iterations of design concepts.
- Develop comprehensive design standards, design processes, and guidelines that specify design deliverables and quality metrics.
- Review, critique and deliver production-ready design documentation and assets to production and development teams for implementation.
- Monitor execution of design deliverables throughout all phases of production to preserve design vision and intent.
- Partner with Creative Labs producers and partner teams to increase operational efficiency, manage schedules, and organize design resources to deliver multiple concurrent projects.
- Develop and maintain a freelance design talent pool and vendor network.
- Work with our legal team to protect the IP associated with new design work.
- Establish and evangelize the design strategy for the Creative Labs organization.
- Use design to drive HTC’s corporate and product strategy.
- Contribute to an evolving user-centered design culture at HTC.
- Travel regularly as necessary to Taipei and Seattle to meet with executives and partner teams,10-20%.
The successful candidate will have:
- A passion for the future of XR and spatial computing.
- 10+ years of experience designing digital products.
- BA/MA in Industrial Design, Product Design, or closely-related field.
- Experience shipping products from concept to realization. Experience with XR products is strongly preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal and collaboration skills.
- Excellent project management and communication skills.
- Strong indirect and direct leadership skills.
- Strong portfolio of inspiring and relevant design work for technology products and consumer electronics.
- Design management experience that demonstrates strong, confident leadership and the desire to mentor team members. Experience offering guidance, encouragement, and individual development.
- Experience providing creative direction for technology products.
- Knowledge of user-centered design processes, techniques, and deliverables.
- Experience working with and influencing a multi-disciplinary product development team of industrial designers, experience designer, CMF designers, researchers, planners and engineers.
- Strong knowledge of formal industrial design principles, human factors and mechanical design.
- Exceptional communication and presentation skills, with an ability to communicate clearly both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to self-start and self-manage on projects. Proven track record of on-time, high-quality deliverables for projects.
- Expert knowledge of 2D/3D CAD packages and Adobe Creative Suite is required.
- Portfolio demonstrating world-class design capabilities.
- Great sense of form and materials and how design can be used to build a strong brand.
- Deep experience with market research, trend research and analysis, user scenario development, and competitive benchmarking.
- Willingness to be a team player
We should get to know each other if you:
- Are thrilled by the chance to ship new products to millions of passionate HTC & VIVE customers.
- Obsess about creating design solutions that offer both functional and emotional benefits.
- See product design and development as both a cultural and strategic activity.
- Are committed to making an impact with your work.
- Are passionate about growing talent.
- Love to work with professionals from different disciplines to create great products.
HTC is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at our company. We are committed to equal employment opportunity and encourage people from all walks of life to apply without regard to race, color, ancestry, sex, national origin, citizenship, genetics, marital status, veteran status, age, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, sexual orientation, or any other status or characteristic protected by law. HTC does not tolerate discrimination or harassment at any point during our employees’ and applicants’ time with us, including with respect to recruitment, hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, training, compensation, benefits, leaves of absence, and general treatment during employment.
We do not accept resumes or referrals from agencies