Position: Creative Director
Location: Seattle, WA
HTC Creative Labs
HTC Creative Labs is a product design, prototyping and incubation studio that provides design strategy for all of HTC and collaborates directly with teams in Taipei and San Francisco to bring new designs to market. This team is responsible for much of HTC’s most significant product and experience design work over the past decade. Our current focus is on creating next generation XR software and hardware experiences for the HTC VIVE brand. We are a small, cross-functional team of designers, artists, developers, and researchers with the feel of a startup. Our process relies on the collaboration of exceptionally talented individuals to create products that offer functional benefits and emotional resonance to our target audiences.
HTC Creative Labs is looking for an experienced creative director who can lead our talented UX design, visual design and 3D art teams to deliver breakthrough results in VR and AR. In this role, you will direct the creative team that visualizes new experience concepts, delivers the production assets for v.1 software experiences, and crafts the VIVE experience design system. You will have the opportunity to continue to develop an emerging XR design process and culture in our global studios. As Creative Director, you will be a fully integrated member of the Creative Labs leadership team, working closely with the other functional leads to position HTC to deliver the spatial computing platform of the future.
- Be responsible for the success of the overall user experience strategy, design and implementation for all HTC VIVE products.
- Recruit, mentor, manage, develop and retain a highly talented team of designers, ensuring high impact contributions and individual career growth.
- Inspire and motivate design team members to create work beyond their expectations.
- Build creative briefs for new projects by establishing project goals, design direction, schedule, deliverables and other project parameters.
- Collaborate with design team members and cross-functional stakeholders to conceive and visualize new XR user experiences.
- Work with prototyping team members to build and test prototypes of new XR user experiences.
- Create the HTC VIVE experience design system that guides both internal and external teams to create VIVE-branded experiences.
- Provide design feedback, coaching and creative direction throughout projects to ensure world-class results.
- Create and manage the creation of inspiring mood boards and style explorations.
- Translate mood boards into tangible UI elements and design comps.
- Create and manage the creation of visual design elements and 3D art for interactive prototypes that help iterate and evolve design concepts.
- Present and evangelize design teamwork to stakeholders throughout the company, including members of the executive team. Anticipate executive team goals and present solutions.
- Interpret and incorporate input from stakeholders beyond the design team into further iterations of design concepts.
- Develop comprehensive design standards, design processes, and guidelines that specify design deliverables and quality metrics.
- Review, critique and deliver production-ready design documentation and assets to production and development teams for implementation.
- Monitor execution of design deliverables throughout all phases of production to preserve design vision and intent.
- Partner with Creative Labs producers and partner teams to increase operational efficiency, manage schedules, and organize design resources to deliver multiple concurrent projects.
- Develop and maintain a freelance design talent pool and vendor network.
- Work with our legal team to protect the IP associated with new design work.
- Establish and evangelize the design strategy for the Creative Labs organization.
- Use design to drive HTC’s corporate and product strategy.
- Contribute to an evolving user-centered design culture at HTC.
- Travel regularly as necessary to Taipei and San Francisco to meet with executives and partner teams.
The successful candidate will have:
- A passion for the future of XR and spatial computing.
- 10+ years of experience designing interactive systems.
- BA/MA in Graphic Design, Interaction Design, or closely-related field.
- Experience shipping products from concept to creation. Experience with XR products is strongly preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal and collaboration skills.
- Excellent project management and communication skills.
- Strong indirect and direct leadership skills.
- Strong portfolio of inspiring and relevant design work for software, technology products and consumer electronics.
- Design management experience that demonstrates strong, confident leadership and the desire to mentor team members. Experience offering guidance, encouragement, and individual development.
- Experience providing creative direction for software experiences.
- Knowledge of user-centered design processes, techniques, and deliverables.
- Experience working with and influencing a multi-disciplinary product development team of visual designers, motion designers, UX designers, researchers, planners and engineers.
- Strong knowledge of formal visual design and composition principles, Interaction Design and Information Architecture.
- Exceptional communication and presentation skills, with an ability to communicate clearly both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to self-start and self-manage on projects. Proven track record of on-time, high-quality deliverables for projects.
- Expert knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite is required.
- Motion design experience or 3D skills a huge plus. (After Effects, Cinema 4D, Maya).
- Working knowledge of Unity or Unreal is a benefit.
- Portfolio demonstrating world-class design capabilities.
- Familiarity with emerging patterns in interaction design and leading-edge technologies under development.
- Willingness to be a team player
We should get to know each other if you:
- Are thrilled by the chance to ship new experiences to millions of passionate HTC users.
- Obsess about creating design solutions that offer both functional and emotional benefits.
- See product design and development as both a cultural and strategic activity.
- Are committed to making an impact with your work.
- Are passionate about growing talent.
- Love to work with professionals from different disciplines to create great products.
HTC is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at our company. We are committed to equal employment opportunity and encourage people from all walks of life to apply without regard to race, color, ancestry, sex, national origin, citizenship, genetics, marital status, veteran status, age, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, sexual orientation, or any other status or characteristic protected by law. HTC does not tolerate discrimination or harassment at any point during our employees’ and applicants’ time with us, including with respect to recruitment, hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, training, compensation, benefits, leaves of absence, and general treatment during employment.
We do not accept resumes or referrals from agencies