Account Director, Public Affairs
Hill+Knowlton Strategies, Canada’s leading strategic communications consultancy, is looking for an Account Director to join our office in Toronto.
As an Account Director you will be responsible for providing strategic government relations and advocacy for clients, and for ensuring that client satisfaction is maintained at the highest level.
You will have an established network in the local business and stakeholder community.
You enjoy being a part of team, mentoring and networking with your peer group. You will apply strategic thinking and oversight to client programs, deploy the firm’s resources to achieve client objectives, monitor client projects on a day-to-day basis and direct a team. You will participate in new business development strategies to cultivate new client opportunities, enjoy pitching and winning new clients.
- Develops and nurtures strong relationships with clients at all levels and capitalizes on large and complex opportunities with existing and new clients.
- Writes annual and project-based government relations and advocacy plans with input from subject matter experts and other sources
- Edits and writes engaging and well-informed materials (briefing notes, backgrounders, fact sheets, whitepapers, Q&A, presentations, responses to requests for proposals)
- Monitors government, industry and sector landscapes on clients’ behalf
- Counsels clients on government relations messages related to crises and issues
- Creates and maintains productive relationships with government and industry stakeholders and clients (includes networking and attending firm-related and political functions)
- Delivers persuasive presentations at client meetings and new business pitches
- Complies with lobby registration process as per jurisdiction
- Conducts account and project audits
- Ensures programs are implemented in timely, cost-effective and relevant ways
- Manages profitability for accounts and/or performance and utilization of account teams
- Measures and reviews success of H+K programs for clients against stated goals
- Explores new media sources, social media tools, and voices on issues to discover their possible impact on clients, potential clients and the firm
- Explores and pursues external business opportunities and interests to generate ideas and connect with potential clients
- Applies creative thinking and problem-solving to client and firm challenges
- Has a developed ability to provide strategic advice
- Uses political savvy and understanding of government processes to achieve client’s objectives with government stakeholders
- Multi-tasks to manage multiple client demands and deploy firm’s resources appropriately
- Is a persuasive and articulate communicator
- Adheres to deadlines
- A proven ability to deliver projects in spite of such things as delays, changes in direction, and revised budgets
- Has an established network in the local business and stakeholder community.
REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Degree in Political Science, Communications, Journalism or Public Relations
- Minimum eight – ten years of working in government or public affairs or communications in a public affairs environment
- Experience in municipal affairs, health or technology sectors considered an asset
- Demonstrated capability in the development of messages and materials for government officials
- Ability to monitor and analyze ongoing developments of relevance to clients
- Solid experience in planning and delivering broadly based communications and public relations programs to support objectives of clients or of an organization
- Experience leading account teams, coaching and mentoring staff
- Proven ability to manage multiple client activities, programs and budgets
- Highly motivated and able to identify and secure new business opportunities
- Demonstrated ability to establish internal and external partnerships
- Strong verbal, written and presentation communications skills
- Capacity to work well in a high-performing team
What’s in it for you?
- Full health benefits package—including healthy paid time off, schedule flexibility, fitness reimbursement, and more
- New business commission potential and employee referral bonus
- A career working with and influencing bold, creative teams and client accounts
- A passionate, smart, fun, and creative office culture
- Strong leadership with a focus on entrepreneurial thinking, training and mentoring to help you grow, expand your skills and become your professional best
Hill + Knowlton Strategies
With nine offices across the country, Hill+Knowlton Strategies Canada is a leader in both public relations and public affairs. Headquartered in Toronto, the company is the No. 1-rated strategic communications firm in the country. Its experts specialize in corporate communications, public affairs, marketing communications, crisis, energy, technology, health care, social and digital communications, financial communications and transactions. The only communications firm to have earned the Canada Order of Excellence for Quality from Excellence Canada, it has been recognized as one of the Best Workplaces in Canada for 11 consecutive years. Its parent company, Hill+Knowlton Strategies Inc., has 86 offices in 47 countries as well as an extensive associate network; and it is a member of WPP (NASDAQ: WPPGY), one of the world’s largest communications services groups.
Hill+Knowlton Strategies is dedicated to employment equity, welcomes diversity in the workplace and encourages applications from all qualified applicants. If you require any needs accommodation during the recruitment process, please reach out to your Recruiter.
We thank all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted.