US Sector Lead, Technology+Telecoms
Hill+Knowlton Strategies (H+K), a global public relations and integrated communications consultancy, offers senior counsel, insightful research and strategic communications throughout the world.
We’ve been in the business of harnessing the power of the public for over 90 years, and our world-class teams of trusted advisors and creative experts help our clients navigate today’s uncertain world to strengthen their brands, reputations, and bottom lines. H+K works with over 50 percent of the Fortune Global 500 companies and some of the world’s most transformative social enterprises and technology companies in both established and emerging markets.
Headquartered in New York City with creative hubs in London, Shanghai, New York and other cities, we boast 2,500+ team members around the world. With over 80 offices in more than 42 countries, our teams operate in a borderless environment to seamlessly collaborate across time zones, languages, and cultures.
H+K offers comprehensive strategic counsel to our clients across a wide variety of sectors including Technology+Telecoms, Energy and Industrials, Health and Wellbeing and more. We believe that the best work in any industry is based on data + insights. Our partnerships and proprietary tools inform our ideas and analyze our success.
Our relationship with WPP — one of the world’s largest communications groups — gives us an unmatched worldwide presence and a deep bench, including our own strategic partnerships and acquisitions.
Join our team and harness the power of the public.
Hill+Knowlton Strategies is in search of the US Sector Lead, Technology. This role will oversee all activities within the Technology Sector across the United States with a focus on client, new business and team development.
In this role, you will directly and indirectly lead key accounts and act as a senior level client advisor across the sector. You will be responsible for driving the sector’s revenue and profitability growth across the USA, identifying and growing talent, leading new business efforts and ensuring our participation in the pitch lists that matter.
As a regional leader and coach, you will help rollout a differentiated global offering for tech sector clients and prospects, further positioning H+K as a go-to provider in this space. Clearly communicating our distinctive work and the depth of our capabilities both internally and externally is vital to the success of this role.
This role reports to the Global Head of Technology+Telecoms Sector, and will work very closely with other regional and global sector leaders, regional leadership, and global client leads.
Our clients span the entire technology and innovation infrastructure. We cover technology hardware, software, services as well as emergent consumer services and enterprise solutions. A growing focus is on innovation clients – those companies not in the technology or telecoms sector per se but that use technology and innovation as a differentiator for their business.
What You’ll Do:
- Lead and/or contribute to the success and acquisition of key accounts in the Technology Sector in the US.
- Help our clients effectively tell their stories to the audiences they care about and quickly engage as lead counsel in crises that arise where reputation risk is managed at the senior-most level.
- Create digital and traditional experiences that engage our clients’ audiences in creative, effective and efficient ways.
- Help our clients (re)connect in an age of almost unlimited information to (re)build trust.
- Partner closely with the regional Technology Sector Leads, Global Client leads, as well as key Global Sector Leads, and account and regional leaders to create and carry out a comprehensive program for client service and expansion within this sector.
- Regularly publish thought leadership, being recognized as an expert on market trends, needs, and opportunities within the sector as it relates to public relations, digital, media, and content development.
- Support a “best team” approach for every client opportunity, personally lending support and direction to help individuals and teams realize their full potential while ensuring profitability, growth and creativity to our accounts.
- Be omnipresent in the market, promoting H+K Strategies while developing new business opportunities and expanding current client reach.
- Lead consistent and quality-based best practices in prospective client development and engagement including: innovative proposal development, pitch preparation and delivery, and the creation of idea-driven credentials and other new business and marketing materials.
- Weigh risks and opportunities in making business decisions, including new business acquisitions.
- Use data, informed by awareness of internal and external factors, to develop meaningful trend analysis and insights that develop the practice.
- Be a thoughtful leader of the Technology Sector in the US. identifying opportunities, and quickly reacting to and sharing new insights with an eye to the broader success of H+K as a whole.
- Regularly communicate with the Technology Sector team and other sectors and practices to coordinate activities, nurture talent and maximize opportunities.
- Partner with the Global Technology Sector Head during the annual business planning processes.
- Build and maintain effective working relationships across the global network including global and regional client, geography, sector and service leaders.
- Act as a thoughtful, inspiring, and engaging leader, particularly around team development and engagement, providing opportunities to develop core skills and providing feedback through formal and informal channels.
- Act as a mentor and champion of your team members, encouraging a high level of strategic thinking and creativity while providing guidance on daily activities such as responding to RFPs, and managing engagements and client needs.
- Have a strong understanding of the individual capabilities, strengths and opportunities for Technology Sector team members in the USA.
- Develop an annual marketing plan for the sector in the US and in conjunction with global planning, in part by establishing new business targets and a coordinated prospecting plan that ensures we have the best resources available in key offices.
- Monitor marketplace for new trends and competitive activities and develop innovative positioning, unique selling points, and relevant products.
- Closely work with other practice leaders and WPP agencies on cross-selling opportunities.
- Partner with the Global Tech Sector Lead to identify opportunities.
- At least 10 years’ experience leading public relations strategies at a senior level. Experience leading senior accounts or practices within an agency and/or leading strategic corporate public relations programs within the Technology sector in the US.
- Demonstrated track record driving growth through client acquisition, development, and extended engagement.
- A recognized strategic client thought partner with a proven ability to manage complex client relationships.
- Excellent communications skills, able to articulate complex issues clearly to individuals, small groups and large audiences in both written and verbal form.
- A strong team orientation, with experience leading and being a member of diverse virtual global teams.
- Significant first-hand, on-the-ground experience working in the United States.
- Strong time management skills, meeting team and client needs while balancing and prioritizing conflicting demands appropriately.
- Exceptionally strong analytical skills.
- Strong knowledge of financial drivers of the business; can act as a strategic counsel to our clients’ c-suite.
- Proven understanding of trends, opportunities and key players within the Technology market, with an ability to identify, quickly communicate, and act upon “what’s next”.
- Skilled and excited about working in a fast paced, change focused organization while modelling corporate values.
- Bachelors’ degree in a related field required. Masters’ degree considered a strong plus.