Managing Director - Healthcare
About Hill Holliday Health:
Somewhere along the way, we fall in love with the people we’re trying to help. And we use every bit of that love, compassion, and empathy to fuel us to create ideas that change lives. Even save them. It’s an incredible opportunity and powerful responsibility that all 125 of us Humble Hungry Humans across New York and Boston take very seriously each and every day. So don’t let all the fun we’re having fool you.
Our consumer healthcare partners include Novartis, Alcon, Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen division, Harvard Pilgrim Health Care, Bayer, Allergan, Ironwood and ALK Pharmaceuticals. To learn about Hill Holliday Health, please visit https://www.hhcc.com/health.
The Managing Director will act as the co-lead HHH with the executive creative director and is responsible for total revenue and growth strategy across the healthcare business unit. He/she will work to elevate Hill Holliday Health as a major competitor in the Healthcare space by nurturing the large, existing client base, developing and activating multi-year growth strategies, overseeing profitability, organic and new client growth, senior-level client relationship management, and acting as a dynamic leader to cross-functional teams within both the New York and Boston offices.
This is an exciting opportunity for a seasoned client leader with deep relationships within healthcare, pharmaceutical, provider, payer and wellness organizations. The ideal colleague is self-motivated, takes initiative, is a strong leader and is driven to succeed. This position will be in NYC or Boston.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
Strategic Oversight and Leadership:
- In partnership with key senior leadership, sets the overall tone and strategic direction for HHH
- Owns HHH’s relationships with senior-most clients (CMOs, CEOs, CTOs, CIOs) across the healthcare portfolio
- Leads the development and implementation of integrated solutions that leverage agency offerings and are mutually beneficial for the client and the agency.
- Works with HHH client leads across our portfolio of brands to successfully identify and mine opportunities for organic account growth. Drives the implementation of several business-building and revenue-generating ideas each year.
- Informs the agency executive leadership of key account developments, opportunities, and challenges, and seeks guidance and involvement from agency leadership when needed.
- Inspires and motivates cross-functional teams, delivers transparent business updates to team as necessary, and oversees all staffing decisions.
- Helps maintain and improve the overall culture of HHH
New Business Development:
- Identify new business opportunities, including projects, outside of our current clients
- Create and execute marketing programs for Hill Holliday Health to increase awareness of offerings and key differentiators from our competition
- Identify and present Hill Holliday Health value proposition, including opportunities for strategic partnerships within the broader Hill Holliday and IPG network.
- Provide strong leadership and collaboration with large, fully-integrated teams in the RFP process and pitch deck creation process, including cross-office efforts.
- Provides strategic financial oversight for the Hill Holliday Health business unit.
- Is accountable for HHH profitability and growth and for achieving planned goals/targets.
- Oversees and guides the EVP, SVP and VP account leads on the management of account staffing, budgets, time reports, account score cards, and other fiscal operations impacting the account P&L.
- Sits on the Hill Holliday senior leadership team and contributes to shaping the overall agency business model and operations.
- Regularly participates in corporate initiatives and operational planning.
- Plays an active role in succession planning and overall agency talent development.
Performance Competencies (Core Skills, Behaviors, and Values):
- Humble, Hungry and Human
- Leadership and management
- Problem solving and innovation
- Strong work ethic, reliability, and trustworthiness
- Flexibility and adaptability
- Emotional intelligence
- Strong written and verbal communication
- Active listening
- Ability to build and maintain positive, productive working relationships
- Independent thinking and decision making
- Executive level poise, presence, and confidence
- Persuasion and negotiation
- 15+ years overall experience in the healthcare and pharma space, most recently in an executive client leadership role
- Experience with managing client scopes and agency profitability
- Business growth experience in a competitive business climate
- Established relationships in major pharmaceutical organizations
- Experience in managing up to executive leadership – both for the agency and holding company
- Dynamic and highly self-motivated individual
- Ability to travel (conferences, team and client meetings, pitches, etc)
- Bachelor’s degree required, MBA a plus