Vice President, Closing & Due Diligence (Loans)
Founded in 1966, Heitman is a premier global real estate investment management firm with over $50 billion in assets under management. Heitman has three main business lines: direct real estate investment; the origination and servicing of debt secured by real estate and investments in publicly traded securities, including REITs, REOCs and other real estate companies. The Firm offers investment products and services across the risk/return spectrum, within each category.
Heitman is proud to be employee owned, and the firm’s real estate solutions are directed by some of the most experienced and innovative professionals in the industry. Headquartered in Chicago, with offices in Frankfurt, Hong Kong, London, Los Angeles, Luxembourg, Melbourne, New York, Seoul and Tokyo, Heitman has 350 employees who offer specialized expertise — from a specific discipline to local insight.
Our Chicago-based headquarters is seeking a Vice President, Closing & Due Diligence to manage the debt negotiation and closing process for US real estate acquisitions and loan originations.
The responsibilities of a Vice President, Closing & Due Diligence include, but are not limited to:
- Manage outside counsel with respect to the negotiation and closing of commercial real estate loans as either a borrower or lender, including highly structured senior secured mortgage loans and construction loans
- Coordinate internal and external legal and physical due diligence review and negotiate any required debt structure resulting from such diligence
- Coordinate and apply both corporate and client compliance policies and procedures with respect to all debt closings
- Serve as the primary liaison with external parties on all debt closings, including borrowers, lenders, attorneys, servicers, and title company representatives during all phases of loan closing
- Work and coordinate with internal constituents including Debt Originations and Servicing personnel, the Acquisitions team, Portfolio & Asset Management team, Financial Operations & Analysis team, as well as senior management
We are seeking individuals who meet the following criteria:
- Minimum 7 years of real estate experience
- Minimum 5 years of negotiating and closing senior loan transactions required
- Degree in Law or Business
- Detailed knowledge of construction, bridge, CMBS, and permanent senior mortgage loan products
- Understanding of equity and preferred equity structures, including control rights, and permitted transfer concepts
- Familiarity with different property types, including office, multifamily, industrial, retail, hospitality, self-storage, and single-family rental
- Familiarity with market trends as they relate to loan documentation
- Strong reading comprehension, critical thinking, and problem-solving skill sets required
- Ability to work efficiently in a fast-paced team environment
- Ability to prioritize projects in an effective manner
- Ability to communicate effectively, keeping managers informed as needed
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, particularly Word and Excel
The Heitman Difference – Culture
Our culture recognizes the importance of our biggest differentiator — our people. Heitman’s collaborative work environment gives our professionals the opportunity to build something together. Something too appealing to ignore and too rewarding to leave.
Our culture is driven by our core values: Respect, Commitment, Innovation, and Integrity. We strive to maintain an inclusive and collaborative environment where all ideas are welcome. Among many other Heitman sponsored programs, we encourage our employees to get out into the community and volunteer with their favorite organizations – you’ll even get paid time off to do just that!
Heitman offers an excellent compensation and benefits package, including medical, dental and life insurance, 401K plan with employer match, and a generous vacation/sick plan.
Interested professionals should apply via our website at www.heitman.com. Please make sure to select “careers” under the About tab to submit your cover letter and resume. If you are a Heitman employee, please make sure to apply using your Heitman email address.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Heitman is an equal employment opportunity employer and complies with all applicable laws prohibiting discrimination based on race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin or ancestry, physical, medical or mental disability or condition (including, without limitation, HIV and AIDS), developmental disability, handicap, denial of family and medical care leave, denial of pregnancy leave, domestic partner status, status as a victim of sexual or domestic violence (or familial relationship to such victim), veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, arrest records, citizenship status, criminal history that has been expunged, unfavorable discharge from the military, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.