Senior Associate, Fund Accounting & Finance
Our Chicago Real Estate Private Equity office is seeking a Senior Associate to join their Financial Operations & Analysis team, which focuses on real estate fund accounting and finance. We are looking for a self-starter, who is highly collaborative, analytical and has a strong interest in Real Estate. The Financial Operations & Analysis team offers a unique and dynamic opportunity for accounting and finance junior professionals to be introduced to and learn about various aspects of private equity real estate and debt, including fund operations, valuation, accounting, financial reporting, performance management, and portfolio & asset management activities.
The responsibilities of a Senior Associate include, but are not limited to:
- Review and coordinate the preparation of quarterly and annual financial reports and supporting accounting workpapers from our third-party fund administrator.
- Compile and analyze investment budgets and business plans with the asset management and property management teams
- Review complex accounting transactions including acquisitions, dispositions, and waterfall/incentive fee calculations
- Lead the coordination, preparation, and analysis of quarterly property and debt valuations
- Work with key third-parties, including clients, consultants, JV operators, property managers, appraisers, auditors, and other key individuals.
- Calculate, review, and analyze discounted cash flows, yields, distributions, income/capital estimates, net asset values, and returns (including time-weighted returns and IRRs)
- Communicate analysis and results to broader internal team, including department, investment committee, Client Service & Marketing, and valuation committee
- Participate in industry learning opportunities inside and outside of Heitman
- Monitor and create operating efficiencies and ensure implementation of improvements
- Show an in-depth understanding of properties within assigned fund/account
- Demonstrate initiative by leading ad hoc projects and analyses within each fund/account and across the department
We are seeking individuals who meet the following criteria:
- 2-4 years of real estate accounting and/or finance experience
- Bachelor's degree in real estate, accounting, or finance
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office package including Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Excellent communication and organization skills
- Deadline driven
- Ability to work efficiently in a fast-paced team environment
- Ability to perform multiple tasks, navigate through unexpected challenges, and develop viable solutions that optimize fund/account performance
- Ability to travel on occasion
- Supervisory experience is a plus
- CPA designation is a plus
The Heitman Difference – Culture
Our culture recognizes the importance of our biggest differentiator — our people. Heitman’s collaborative work environment gives our professionals the opportunity to build something together. Something too appealing to ignore and too rewarding to leave.
Our culture is driven by our core values: Respect, Commitment, Innovation, and Integrity. We strive to maintain an inclusive and collaborative environment where all ideas are welcome. Among many other Heitman sponsored programs, we encourage our employees to get out into the community and volunteer with their favorite organizations – you’ll even get paid time off to do just that!
Heitman offers an excellent compensation and benefits package, including medical, dental and life insurance, 401K plan with employer match, and a generous vacation/sick plan.
Interested professionals should apply via our website at www.heitman.com. Please make sure to select “careers” under the About tab to submit your cover letter and resume. If you are a Heitman employee, please make sure to apply using your Heitman email address.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Heitman is an equal employment opportunity employer and complies with all applicable laws prohibiting discrimination based on race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin or ancestry, physical, medical or mental disability or condition (including, without limitation, HIV and AIDS), developmental disability, handicap, denial of family and medical care leave, denial of pregnancy leave, domestic partner status, status as a victim of sexual or domestic violence (or familial relationship to such victim), veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, arrest records, citizenship status, criminal history that has been expunged, unfavorable discharge from the military, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
Founded in 1966, Heitman is a premier global real estate investment management firm with over $53 billion in assets under management. Heitman has three main business lines: direct real estate investment; the origination and servicing of debt secured by real estate and investments in publicly traded securities, including REITs, REOCs and other real estate companies. The Firm offers investment products and services across the risk/return spectrum, within each category.
Heitman is proud to be employee owned, and the firm’s real estate solutions are directed by some of the most experienced and innovative professionals in the industry. Headquartered in Chicago, with offices in Frankfurt, Hong Kong, London, Los Angeles, Luxembourg, Melbourne, New York, Seoul and Tokyo, Heitman has over 360 employees who offer specialized expertise — from a specific discipline to local insight.
#realestateaccounting #realestatefinance #realestatevaluation #accounting #fundaccounting #fundfinance #finance #privateequityrealestate #REITaccounting #REITvaluation #realestate #chicagoaccounting