Motion Controls Engineer (Programming)
This individual is responsible for Programming, Commissioning, and Startup of Motion based Programmable Logic Control (PLC) automation systems and machine centers. The job includes planning and creating programs from scratch, for an integrated system. A typical system includes an AB Logix PLC, Human Machine Interface (HMI), and servo control or FANUC robots. The person in this role will work as part of an overall design team to specify control requirements and sequence of operations. The job duties will mostly be performed at Hartness in Greenville, SC with travel required for startup and commissioning at customer facilities.
What you will do:
- You will develop and create programs for basic packaging material handling devices (drop packers, shrink wrappers, accumulation systems, robots, conveyors, pallet dispensers, collating stations, etc.) with a focus on motion controls.
- You will develop and create programs to integrate multiple material handling devices to create an integrated production system.
- You will work with the Design Engineering team to specify motion control devices or hardware.
- You will edit and interface HMI programs with PLC and system functions.
- You will specify and maintain I/O lists used to coordinate electrical design with program design.
- You will maintain Electrical Schematics after initial system assembly is complete.
- You will Test, Debug, Modify, and Validate all system functions prior to shipment.
- You will Start-up and Commission completed system at customer site for final customer approval.
- You will train Hartness and customer technicians on the operation and program maintenance of the delivered system.
What we are looking for (Experience & Education):
- Bachelor of Science (BS) in Engineering – Mechanical/Electrical or Mechatronics preferred, or 10+ years related experience in lieu of degree.
- Expertise in motion control hardware, including technical operation and theory.
- Expertise in PLC programming, Rockwell Logix products required.
- 5+ years experience in servo programming, coordinated motion control (camming/gearing), registration, motor sizing, torque/speed calculations, motion mechanism types (gearing, timing belt, reducer, lead screw, conveyor, etc.), specifying products for each application, installation, startup, and debug of integrated production systems.
- Experience with FANUC Robotics or other industrial robots in packaging applications a plus.
- Familiarity with common PC languages (Visual Basic, C++, Java, HTML) a plus.
- Prior experience working independently at customer facilities
- Strong mechanical aptitude
- Proficient in reading, interpreting and editing electrical/pneumatic schematics and diagrams
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work within a team environment to meet organization goals and accomplish tasks.
- Proficient with common Microsoft office suite programs; such as, Excel, Word, Outlook, etc.
- Position requires 35% travel; must be able to obtain a passport. The majority of travel is in the U.S. but some international travel may be required.
Hartness, an ITW Company
Hartness is a world class secondary packaging equipment manufacturer headquartered in the beautiful suburbs of Greenville, SC. Founded on the premise of cutting-edge innovation and a relentless commitment to our customers, Hartness’ world class equipment is designed to our customers’ goals of continuous improvement throughout the production process.
You will enjoy a competitive salary and generous benefits that includes health, dental, life and LTD insurance, 401k (with match), and other great benefit programs. Hartness / ITW is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Hartness is a division of Illinois Tool Works Inc. (ITW), a Fortune 200 global multi-industrial manufacturing leader with revenues totaling $13.6 billion in 2016. The company’s seven industry-leading segments leverage the unique ITW Business Model to drive solid growth with best-in-class margins and returns in markets where highly innovative, customer-focused solutions are required. ITW has more than 50,000 dedicated colleagues in operations around the world (57 countries) who thrive in the company’s unique, decentralized and entrepreneurial culture. To learn more about ITW, visit www.itw.com.