Control Engineer - Systems
Hartness, An ITW Company is looking for a Systems Controls Engineer. This individual is responsible for programming, commissioning, and startup of PLC controlled conveyor automation systems. The job includes planning and creating programs from scratch, for an integrated system. A typical system includes an AB Logix PLC, HMI, and peripheral devices such as barcode readers, printers, and communication modules. The person in this role will work as part of an overall design team to specify control requirements and sequence of operations. Most of the job will be performed at Hartness, with travel required for startup and commissioning at customer facilities.
What you will do:
- Develop and program PLC programs for peripheral packaging material handling devices (conveyors, pallet dispensers, printers, collating stations, etc.)
- Develop and program PLC programs to integrate production machines to conveying systems.
- Develop and program line diagnostic equipment including Scada and vision systems.
- Edit and interface HMI programs with PLC functions.
- Specify and Maintain I/O lists used to coordinate electrical design with program design.
- Maintain Electrical Schematics after initial system assembly is complete.
- Test, Debug, Modify, and Validate all system functions prior to shipment.
- Start-up and Commission completed system at customer site for final customer approval.
- Train Hartness and customer technicians on the operation and program maintenance of the delivered system.
What we are looking for:
- Expertise in PLC programming, Rockwell Logix products preferred
- 5+ years experience in programming, installation, startup, and debug of integrated production systems.
- Familiarity with common PC languages (Visual Basic, C++, Java, HTML) a plus.
- Prior experience working independently at customer facilities
- Strong mechanical aptitude
- Proficient in reading, interpreting and editing electrical/pneumatic schematics and diagrams, ACAD experience necessary.
- Experience in Robotic Material Handling and Packaging applications a plus.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Work well within a team environment.
- Proficient with common Microsoft office programs including spreadsheets, email, and documents
- Position requires 35% travel; must be able to obtain a passport. The majority of travel is in the U.S. but some international travel may be required.
Since ITW’s founding more than 100 years ago, ITW has become one of the world’s leading diversified manufacturers of specialized industrial equipment, consumables and related service businesses. ITW businesses serve local customers and markets around the globe, with a significant presence in developed as well as emerging markets. The company has operations in 56 countries that employ more than 50,000 women and men who adhere to the highest ethical standards. ITW has 85 businesses divided into 7 Segments, which includes: Welding, Automotive OEM, Food Equipment Group, Construction Products, Polymers & Fluids, Test and Measurement & Electronics, and Specialty.
Hartness, an ITW Company:
Hartness is a world class secondary packaging equipment manufacturer headquartered in the beautiful suburbs of Greenville, SC. Founded on the premise of cutting-edge innovation and a relentless commitment to our customers, Hartness’ world class equipment is designed to our customers’ goals of continuous improvement throughout the production process.
Take this opportunity to join a successful and enthusiastic global team where you can make a significant impact immediately. You will enjoy a competitive salary and generous benefits that includes health, dental, life and LTD insurance, 401k (with match), and a 100% tuition reimbursement program. Hartness is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
ITW is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.