R&D Mechanical Engineering Intern
The Mechanical Engineering Summer Intern performs a variety of functions as it relates to the Hi-Cone Carrier Application Equipment and the Dynac Accumulation Equipment. The successful candidate must be comfortable working in an office environment and performing hands on work. To be considered for this internship please answer the questions listed at the bottom of the job description along with your application.
What you will do:
- Machine design & detailing
- Product and concept testing
- Conception and designing fixtures
Typical Projects include:
- Analyzing effects of geometry, contents, C.G., material, etc on DYNAC performance
- Optimizing chucks for Bottle Orienting Hi-Cone machines
- Cost reduction ideas/concepts
What we are looking for:
- Actively pursuing a Bachelors degree in Mechanical Engineering from an accredited university
- Mechanical skills: knowledge of mechanical and physical
- Use of tools: ability to use hand and power tools
- Innovation: ability to work alone and with others to develop new concepts and solve problems
- Troubleshooting: have a methodical and logical mindset through process. Ability to perform root cause analysis
- Work ethic: willingness to put forth the effort required to get the job done, while upholding high ethical standards. Work well with others in a team environment.
Proficiency in the following software applications:
- AutoCad or Draftsight (familiarly is sufficient)
- Solidworks for all design
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Microsoft Project
IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION PLEASE ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS ALONG WITH YOUR APPLICATION
1. What hobbies do you partake in outside of your studies? (Please list each one and provide a short description.)
2. How familiar are you with machining processes (mills, lathes, CNC machines and sheet metal forming)?
3. Tell me about anything you’ve built or created in your spare time that you are most proud of (not school related).
4. What is your SolidWorks experience level (yrs. of use) and do you use it outside of class work?
5. Inspiration for becoming a Mechanical Engineer?
6. What are you looking to get out of a summer internship?
Since ITW’s founding more than 100 years ago, ITW has become one of the world’s leading diversified manufacturers of specialized industrial equipment, consumables and related service businesses. ITW businesses serve local customers and markets around the globe, with a significant presence in developed as well as emerging markets. The company has operations in 56 countries that employ more than 50,000 women and men who adhere to the highest ethical standards. ITW has 85 businesses divided into 7 Segments, which includes: Welding, Automotive OEM, Food Equipment Group, Construction Products, Polymers & Fluids, Test and Measurement & Electronics, and Specialty.
Hartness, an ITW Company:
Hartness is a world class secondary packaging equipment manufacturer headquartered in the beautiful suburbs of Greenville, SC. Founded on the premise of cutting-edge innovation and a relentless commitment to our customers, Hartness’ world class equipment is designed to our customers’ goals of continuous improvement throughout the production process.
Take this opportunity to join a successful and enthusiastic global team where you can make a significant impact immediately. You will enjoy a competitive salary and generous benefits that includes health, dental, life and LTD insurance, 401k (with match), and a 100% tuition reimbursement program. Hartness is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
ITW is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.