Editor, Balance, Grand Central Publishing
The Editor will be responsible for contributing to a new imprint at Grand Central Publishing, Balance, dedicated to publishing the best practical nonfiction across the wide spectrum from health/wellness to business/success, including trade psychology, self-help, diet, how-to, inspiration, work/life, management, and leadership. The Editor will be responsible for acquiring and editing approximately 10-12 new titles per year. The successful candidate will have a strong background in working with top experts in a range of nonfiction fields to develop ideas for a general readership, and a demonstrated interest in practical nonfiction categories.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Commissioning, acquiring, and editing manuscripts for publication.
- Successfully negotiating deals.
- Working effectively with authors and agents in all phases of the publishing process, from acquisition to through publication date and beyond.
- Supervising the production process by acting as the in-house liaison between editorial and the production, design, and managing editorial departments.
- Developing and maintaining deep relationships with in-house specialists in Grand Central Publishing marketing and publicity groups.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Broad knowledge of nonfiction subject areas and publishing categories with specialty knowledge in select categories such as health/wellness to business/success, including psychology, self-help, diet, how-to, inspiration, work/life, management, and leadership
- Existing contacts among authors, writers, academics, journalists, or literary agents, or who demonstrates the ability to develop such contacts.
- Candidate with experience in the business, leadership, and career categories, or else a strong interest in those categories is preferred but not required.
- Proven ability to work cross-functionally with specialists in other groups, companies, and organizations on shared long-term projects.
- The successful applicant will be able to demonstrate:
- Ability to thrive in corporate, entrepreneurial, or results-driven organizational role
- Problem-solving skills in cross-functional, long-term team scenarios
- Excellent presentation, organization, written and oral communication skills
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT / COMPENSATION & BENEFITS DISCLOSURE:
As a leading book publisher, we believe that including and representing diverse voices in all aspects of our business is fundamental to what we do. Hachette Book Group provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
This position has a compensation range of $52,000-$60,000. Salary will vary based on a number of factors including skills, experience, and location — talk with your recruiter to learn more. Our comprehensive U.S. benefit offerings include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, LTD, 401(k), and more.