Creative Director, Hachette Nashville
Hachette Nashville serves a broad readership interested in books that inspire and transform. The Creative Director will establish and implement design strategy to support books published under the three Hachette Nashville trade imprints - FaithWords, Center Street and Worthy.
Hachette Nashville’s broad publishing program features a range of voices including cultural influencers, faith-based leaders and influencers, respected political figures, and military leaders.
The Creative Director will help fulfill the editorial mission of Hachette Nashville by leading a creative team in generating fresh, distinctive, and appealing cover designs, working with the Publisher to infuse all of Hachette Nashville’s visual assets with innovative design thinking. An ability to develop seamless, collaborative relationships with editorial, marketing, managing editorial, sales, and production colleagues is a key feature of the successful Creative Director.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Create cover designs and lead a team of two designers, ensuring that designs are appropriate for both physical and digital versions of approximately 50 new hardcover titles and approximately 30 paperback and digital originals annually, as well as their associated reprint editions
- Manage design budget; hire and supervise freelance photographers and illustrators and maintain appropriate records
- Manage workflow; develop and ensure adherence to systems and processes that ensure digital distribution of cover assets is timely and accurate
- Conduct art research to ensure cover elements are reflective of subject matter, current trends, time periods, etc.
- Manage art workflow to ensure that all deadlines are met across all departments, including editorial, managing editorial and production
- Create materials for weekly art/editorial meetings, as well as seasonal sales meetings
- Oversee creation of seasonal catalog and other marketing materials, including print and online advertising; consult with marketing team about advertising and sales material design as necessary
- Purchase rights for art usage and oversee the processing of all related administrative responsibilities.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Bachelor’s degree in art/design preferred
- Minimum of 6-8 years of experience in book cover design and/or other related creative industries
- Interest in design and popular culture trends, notably in the areas of Christian faith, spirituality, military history and politics
- Experience leading and/or mentoring design professionals
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite, InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop; knowledge of PDF production workflow systems
- Knowledge with Adobe After Effects would be a plus
- Proven ability to art direct freelance talent such as photographers, illustrators, typographers and designers, in keeping with established budgets
- Experience overseeing file maintenance and instituting process improvement
- Proven aptitude to communicate effectively in both individual and group settings to diverse audiences and professionals in a variety of functions (e.g., sales, editorial) through presentations and written communication
- Must be results driven, and take ownership to achieve goals and resolve problems
- Proven ability to deliver timely, accurate work product and demonstrate good follow up and follow through
- Demonstrated ability to drive change and innovation by improving work product or process
- Proven ability to build supportive and constructive relationships within and outside of the organization
As a leading book publisher, we believe that including and representing diverse voices in all aspects of our business is fundamental to what we do. Hachette Book Group provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.