Senior Designer, Adult Trade Book Interiors
Sr. Designer, Adult Trade Book Interiors
HBG’s Production Department seeks a Sr. Designer for interior book designs and page composition of adult trade print titles including novels, non-fiction, cookbooks, and lifestyle categories.
The Sr. Designer will be responsible for working with in-house and outside partners for creating new interior designs. This involves page typesetting, maintaining quality controls, and providing other production services as needed. The position will focus primarily on 1C interior designs of varying complexity. Future opportunity to take on 4C illustrated books and to work towards developing more 4C designs depends on the designer's skill and experience. Our production department operates out of New York, Boulder, Philadelphia, and Nashville, supporting multiple Hachette publishers as a shared service.
Candidates must have creativity and attention to detail, organizational skills, a service-oriented attitude, and a strong design background. We seek a team-minded individual who encourages collaboration to deliver books of exceptional quality. The ideal candidate will have strong interpersonal communication skills, industry experience with print vendors for trade publishing, a strong work ethic, and a creativity for page text design.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Working to deliver text-based book interior designs on schedule.
- Converting, cropping, adjusting, and correcting art and book files.
- Validating and delivering files to printers and our DAM
- Communicating effectively with Managing Editorial, Manufacturing, and Art Departments.
- Working with composition service vendors when required.
- 5+ years of experience in book design.
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite applications (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator & Acrobat Pro).
- Expert level InDesign layout experience displaying creativity with typography and composition (PDF portfolio submissions with your resume are encouraged).
- Understanding of book production process and requirements for printing.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel.
Hachette Book Group provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
As a leading book publisher, we believe that including and representing diverse voices in all aspects of our business is fundamental to what we do. Our publishing programs must reflect the broad range of backgrounds, experiences, political views and ideas that shape our society and publish books for all readers.
Salary and Office
Salary will vary based on a number of factors including skills, location, and experience — talk with your recruiter to learn more. Our comprehensive U.S. benefit offerings include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, LTD, 401(k), and more.
This role is based in New York and our hybrid-remote office policies currently requires 2 days per week at our Manhattan office near Rockefeller Center.