Junior Designer, Hachette Books
The Hachette Books Art department is seeking a Junior Designer. Applicant must be highly organized, efficient, conscientious, and possess a strong ability to multi-task. The Junior Designer will work in a very busy, creative, and teamwork-oriented art department and will interact heavily with editorial, managing editorial, marketing, publicity, and production departments to ensure timely workflow, department deadlines and interdepartmental requests.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Design jacket, cover, and galley mechanicals for both hardcover and paperback titles on the Hachette Books and Hachette Go lists.
- Revise, route, pre-flight and release hardcover, paperback, and galley mechanicals.
- Revise, route, pre-flight and release hardcover and paperback mechanical reprint corrections.
- Pre-press and color correction work.
- Reformat cover design for downloadable audio format.
- Occasional advertising and promotion design.
- Cover design assignments pending completion of other job requirements.
- Answer queries and provide materials as needed for other departments, such as Editorial, Marketing, Subrights, and Production.
- Attend weekly jacket meetings and provide support as necessary (e.g. calling in attendees, taking notes, identifying comparative titles, etc.).
- Offer strong support to Art department through clerical and administrative tasks (e.g. archiving files on a shared art server, uploading cover files into company database, jacket/cover asset creation, jacket/cover art/font licensing, meeting preparation and organization, etc.)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Must have an online portfolio link with sample work in addition to a resume and cover letter. Your cover letter should detail why you’re interested in the role and supporting the Hachette Books and Hachette Go imprints.
- Bachelor’s degree in art/design or equivalent practical experience needed.
- 1-3 years of experience in publishing, design, or related field preferred.
- Mac platform skills with mastery of current Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign). Able to quickly learn new software and systems.
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written) in both individual and group settings.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to multi-task, prioritize, and manage time effectively while also ensuring accuracy of work through strong attention to detail. The ideal candidate will be comfortable balancing both administrative and creative duties.
As a leading book publisher, we believe that including and representing diverse voices in all aspects of our business is fundamental to what we do. Our publishing programs must reflect the broad range of backgrounds, experiences, political views and ideas that shape our society and publish books for all readers.
Hachette Book Group provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The compensation for this position is $50,000. Salary can vary based on a number of factors including skills, experience, and location — talk with your recruiter to learn more. There may be times that you will be required (or requested) to work overtime due to the nature of your role or exceptional workload issues or special projects.
The following benefits are offered by the company: medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life, short-term and long-term disability, accidental death and dismemberment, critical illness, hospital indemnity, long-term care, health and dependent care FSA, commuter benefit plan, employee assistance program, tuition reimbursement, travel assistance, 401(k), discretionary bonus program, PTO (15 vacation days, 2 personal days, 10 holidays and generous sick leave) and group discounts on auto and home insurance and legal services. Eligibility requirements apply to some benefits and may depend on your job classification, hours worked and length of employment. Benefits are subject to change and may be subject to specific elections, plan, or program terms.