SUMMARY: This is a full-time position with the responsibility of implementing, extending, and maintaining applications that support critical distribution systems for a major book publishing company. These systems include Warehouse Management, Transportation and Logistics, Conveyor interfaces, Picking interfaces, RF Processes, and interfaces to corporate systems. The architecture follows a multi-tiered paradigm that is deployed across mid-range Linux and PC platforms but also includes TCP/IP and ASP.net Core (JSON) interfacing. Major programming tools include SQL, C++, C#, .Net, and PowerBuilder.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform analysis, development, and coding of new systems and system enhancements.
- Troubleshoot issues found in production systems.
- Perform code and design reviews for other developers.
- Participate in the on-call rotation for afterhours support.
- Researching new technologies for inclusion or conversion of existing systems
ADDITIONAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Participate in future planning strategy discussions.
- Attend training courses to keep skills up to date.
- Help train users and other systems administration personnel as needed.
- Special or as needed duties assigned by Manager.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS: The successful candidate must be self-motivated and be able to handle multiple projects simultaneously. Excellent written and oral communication skills are required as assignments involve working directly with all groups in the company. Project work will include both new development and maintenance/enhancement to existing software. Job responsibilities will involve technical research, design, and coding. Candidates must be capable of developing code to meet established specifications and acceptance criteria as well as developing original technical specifications to meet business requirements.
To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- SQL Development Expertise in one of the following: Sybase SQL Server, Microsoft SQL Server, or Oracle.
- Expertise in a modern software language such as C# and experience with one or more of .Net Framework, .Net Core, or ASP.net Core.
- Knowledge of .Net ecosystem front-end development platforms such as ASP.net, Razor Pages, Blazor, .Net Maui, etc a plus.
- Knowledge of PowerBuilder, and/or C++ a plus.
- Ability to analyze business problems and propose system solutions.
- Strong analytical skills needed to determine issues in existing systems.
- Strong SQL programming skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team with large and varied systems. Project work will include both new development and maintenance/enhancement to existing software
- Provable and reliable work ethic.
- The ability to juggle multiple responsibilities and work effectively in fast paced environment is a must.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills are required as assignments involve working directly with all groups in the company.
- Warehouse Management Systems or Distribution experience is a plus.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: N/A
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- BS degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or Engineering or the equivalent in continuing education and work experience.
- 5+ years of experience in information systems including programming and database support. System design and data modeling experience.
Hachette Book Group provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.