Senior Designer, Workman Adult Books
SENIOR DESIGNER, WORKMAN ADULT BOOKS
Please note, this role is required to be in the Workman office located in New York City.
Workman Publishing is seeking a dynamic and talented Designer or Senior Designer who will primarily be responsible for the design of cookbooks, and novelty and gift books, and general non-fiction for the adult books division. This person will be responsible for overseeing each project through the design process, including dummies, sketches, final artwork, color correction, and preparing files to production. Must be capable of making assignments for illustrators, freelancers and other creative contributors.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Collaborate closely with the editors, artists, and authors in the creation of cover and interior artwork, from sketches to final art.
• Work closely with editors and the Art Director in designing the cover and interior packaging.
• Work closely with the Art Director to schedule and prepare materials for jacket meetings, as well as Sales and Marketing meetings.
• Oversee out-of-house freelance designers as necessary
• Ensure all covers and related sales assets are uploaded into proprietary database and archive documents appropriately.
• Assist in managing a master schedule of books to make sure key Production, Marketing and Sales milestone dates are met, as well as the creation of sales materials.
• Create select advertising and promotional materials as needed for custom publishing or retail promotions.
• Perform other duties as assigned by the Art Director, Creative Director, or Department Head
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
• Minimum of 4-7 years experience in book publishing design required.
• Knowledge of typography, illustration, and photography.
• Proficiency in InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator required.
• Ability to attend to details and manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment.
• Strong communication skills (verbal and written) with the aptitude to communicate effectively in both individual and group settings, regardless of audience.
• Ability to manage in-house and out-of-house artists and freelancers.
• Ability to take direction yet maintain intuition.
• Solid print production experience required.
As a leading book publisher, we believe that including and representing diverse voices in all aspects of our business is fundamental to what we do. Our publishing programs must reflect the broad range of backgrounds, experiences, political views and ideas that shape our society and publish books for all readers.
Hachette Book Group provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The compensation range for this position is $65,000 to $70,000. Salary can vary based on a number of factors including skills, experience, and location — talk with your recruiter to learn more. There may be times that you will be required (or requested) to work overtime due to the nature of your role or exceptional workload issues or special projects.
The following benefits are offered by the company: medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life, short-term and long-term disability, accidental death and dismemberment, critical illness, hospital indemnity, long-term care, health and dependent care FSA, commuter benefit plan, employee assistance program, tuition reimbursement, travel assistance, 401(k), discretionary bonus program, PTO (15 vacation days, 2 personal days, 10 holidays and generous sick leave) and group discounts on auto and home insurance and legal services. Eligibility requirements apply to some benefits and may depend on your job classification, hours worked and length of employment. Benefits are subject to change and may be subject to specific elections, plan, or program terms.