Publicity Director, Legacy Lit
Legacy Lit, an exciting new imprint at Hachette Book Group, is seeking a Publicity Director with a creative focus on diversity and inclusion to promote commercial nonfiction titles driven by Black, Indigenous, People Of Color (BIPOC) and multicultural voices, to join the imprint in securing national media attention for our actively publicity-driven list. The role will be responsible for handling key Legacy Lit titles each season and developing the strategic vision and direction of all publicity efforts for those titles and communications for the new imprint. Our ideal candidate has a passion for social justice and the empowerment of marginalized communities, and has strong connections in top-tier and grassroots media and organizations that they could leverage to support the growth of the authors and imprint, and has a proven track record of creating and executing successful publicity campaigns.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Publicizing approximately 12 – 15 books per year. This includes executing all aspects of a publicity campaign, including managing author tours, booking national and local media, overseeing travel arrangements, and producing events.
- Working closely with Legacy Lit’s publisher to coordinate all aspects of the imprint’s publicity and branding strategies, including promotion of the imprint/brand itself alongside its authors and books both internally (and to the industry at large) and to readers and consumers.
- Developing and maintaining close working relationships with members of the press (broadcast, radio, print, online, trades, etc.), building media opportunities with both general commercial-driven media and African American media, and executing creative ways to best promote and publicize titles to diverse audiences and beyond.
- Working closely with authors on all aspects of publicity, including briefing authors for interviews and accompanying authors to publicity engagements.
- Strategizing media lists, creating press materials (full press kits, press releases, pitch & galley letters, author Q&A’s, etc.), and pitching media.
- Collaborating with key in-house departments, including Marketing, Sales, Editorial, and Subsidiary Rights.
- Developing and maintaining relationships with booksellers around the country, as well as off-site and lecture event venues.
- Participate in the coordination of regional trade shows, festival attendance, award submissions, and more.
- Ability to use social media, virtual platforms, and other opportunities to support campaigns to reach new audiences.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Minimum of 10 years of publicity experience
- Experience in building big mainstream and grassroots campaigns
- Strong knowledge of national and regional media (digital and print), with strong established relationships with key mainstream media bookers.
- Strong contacts at African American and multicultural organizations and media.
- Proven ability to manage and prioritize multiple assignments in a fast-paced environment
- Exceptional interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills with strong attention to detail.
- Established relationships with large lecture venues
- Ability to escort authors as needed, including the ability to travel domestically with authors when needed.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Excel, Outlook, etc.
- Familiarity with Cision, Net Galley, Muck Rack and Edelweiss (not a must)
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT / COMPENSATION & BENEFITS DISCLOSURE:
As a leading book publisher, we believe that including and representing diverse voices in all aspects of our business is fundamental to what we do. Hachette Book Group provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
This position has a compensation range of $90,000-$100,000. Salary will vary based on a number of factors including skills, experience, and location — talk with your recruiter to learn more. Our comprehensive U.S. benefit offerings include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, LTD, 401(k), and more.