Junior Designer, Hachette Books
The Hachette Books Art department is seeking a Junior Designer. Applicant must be highly organized, efficient, conscientious, and possess a strong ability to multi-task. The Junior Designer will work in a very busy, creative, and teamwork-oriented art department and will interact heavily with editorial, managing editorial, marketing, publicity, and production departments to ensure timely workflow, department deadlines and interdepartmental requests.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Design jacket and cover mechanicals (flaps/spine/back) for both hardcover and paperback titles on the Hachette Books, Hachette Go, and Legacy Lit lists. Design advanced reader copies (ARC) and bound galley covers as needed.
- Revise, route, pre-flight and release hardcover, paperback, and ARC/galley mechanicals.
- Revise, route, pre-flight and release hardcover and paperback mechanical reprint corrections.
- Pre-press and color correction work.
- Reformat cover design for downloadable audio format.
- Cover design assignments pending completion of other job requirements.
- Answer queries and provide materials as needed for other departments, such as Editorial, Marketing, Subrights, and Production.
- Attend weekly jacket meetings and provide support as necessary (e.g. calling in attendees, taking notes, identifying comparative titles, etc.).
- Offer strong support to Art department through clerical and administrative tasks (e.g. cutting/pasting comparative titles to boards, archiving files on a shared art server, uploading cover files into company database, dummy book creation, purchasing rights, preparing art contracts, meeting organization, etc.)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Must have an online portfolio link with sample work in addition to a resume and cover letter. Your cover letter should detail why you’re interested in the role and supporting the Hachette Books imprint.
- Bachelor’s degree in art/design or equivalent practical experience needed.
- 1-3 years of experience in publishing, design, or related field preferred.
- Mac platform skills with mastery of current Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign). Able to quickly learn new software and systems.
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written) in both individual and group settings.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to multi-task, prioritize, and manage time effectively while also ensuring accuracy of work through strong attention to detail. The ideal candidate will be comfortable balancing both administrative and creative duties.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT / COMPENSATION & BENEFITS DISCLOSURE:
As a leading book publisher, we believe that including and representing diverse voices in all aspects of our business is fundamental to what we do. Hachette Book Group provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
This position has a compensation range of $44,000-$50,000. Salary will vary based on a number of factors including skills, experience, and location — talk with your recruiter to learn more. Our comprehensive U.S. benefit offerings include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, LTD, 401(k), and more.